Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 119 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 18th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #1771
Regular Crew

Render as .avi and .mpg2 and ?

Hello. After you have completed editing your final video, in what format do you save as/render as to archive your work?

I always render as .avi format for future use and I started rendering as .mpg2 format to use for dvd authoring.
Old December 18th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #1772
Regular Crew

Properties -> Add title, author, and copyright info

Hello, I like to make the video clip show the title, the artist, and the copyright information when played in Windows Media Player.
I go to File -> Properties -> Summary -> and add all the information.

After I render the clip, the video only shows "Playlist: Playlist1" and "Clip: Title"

How do you add the title, artists, and copyright information on the actual clip?

Thank you in advance.
Old December 18th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #1773
Regular Crew

Quality Loss Question

Ok, writing over tapes has finally caught up with me. I found myself wanting to re-use some footage from last summer and I have already overwritten the tape containing the scene I need. I have been able to extract the audio and video off a master DVD and convert it to .avi but am worried about the quality loss when re-compressing the already once compressed footage back to mpeg2 & ac3 for DVD. Will there be a noticable degradation in image and/or sound quality???
Old December 18th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #1774
New Boot

Beginner Question

I have been shooting western action videos and editing them with windows movie maker for about 2 years. I have a Sony PDX10 on order and want to upgrade my editing software too. I have a lot of my videos hosted on Neptune. Is Vegas too big of a jump for me to go to for NLE software? I know there will be a learning curve. I have a fairly late model HP Pavillion Pentium 4 and a 150 GB hard drive. I would appreciate any advice.
Old December 18th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #1775
Regular Crew

Download the trial and have a play about, thats the easy answer and that is what they are there for.

I found vegas very easy to pick up and at the same time very intuitive. In contrast I found premiere to be more cumbersome (others will tell of their experiences differently). At the end of the day it is another one of those eye of the beholder answers.

If you are serious about editing you will definately not regret moving away from WMM. I don't think it will be hard to transfer the skills you have learnt from WMM to any of the more serious NLE's out there and at the same time you will open up a lot more possibilities in your post production.
Old December 18th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #1776
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas is the type of software that you can use as little as or as much as you want. If you get it and start doing simple edits - that's fine. But then you still have the power to grow as your abilities and needs increase as well.
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #1777

While there is always some loss, how does the new AVI file look? Your final render should look very similar.
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #1778

I always to a print to tape to archive the final product. I render to MPEG2 when creating DVDs. As for archiving the project, keep the VEG file, any added media, and the original tapes. You can always recapture the original footage.
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #1779
New Boot

James, I played with Premier some time back and also found it cumbersome, but of course I didn't spend a lot of time to learn to use it. As I recall it locked up on me a lot, which was not fun.

This site is amazing for the knowledge that people here have. I will use it a bunch I know.
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #1780

File - Render As - WMV format - Custom - Go to the LAST tab.
Old December 19th, 2004, 02:42 AM   #1781
Regular Crew

Magic bullet help

I can't get Magic Bullet LTD. to run in vegas for some reason. Everytime I download and install the program it only puts the unintaller on my computer. What am I doing wrong? I have downloaded and installed other plugins and they're working fine. The Magic bullet plugin shows up in vegas, but when I click to use it, it comes up as an error and exits me out of Vegas altogether. I want to use this program to see if I want to purchase MBE.
Old December 19th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #1782
Regular Crew

I would recommend using Track Motion (button on the video track header) instead of Event Pan/Crop for dual-view output like you want. That's what it's designed for.

Like John said, put each clip on a separate track and then use Track Motion to compose their output in the final output frame.

///d@
Sony Media Software
Old December 19th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #1783
Regular Crew

The avi looks good on external preview to a 13" TV. I guess it's just knowing it could be a hair better if I had kept that tape. Makes me crazy....... (obsessive-compulsive)
Old December 19th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #1784
Regular Crew

I'm running a 1Ghz AMD Athlon and 384 MB SDRAM and my time varies according to the complexity and number of tracks in the timeline. If I render to avi my times are typically much faster than rendering to mpeg2. Throw in some event effects and panning and those then become the bottleneck. Rendering a simple 1.5 hour dance recital with some stock transitions and very few effects to mpeg2 took less than 6 hours while rendering a 1.2 hour wedding with 9 tracks(a couple of them 3D tracks), lots of keyframes, and lots of effects to mpeg2 took over 9 hours. The 3D track movement really seems to bring my system to its knees. All times are at the "Good" setting for render quality.
Old December 19th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #1785

It should show up on the effect tab and is added just like adding any other effect.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...