Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 115 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 13th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #1711
Major Player

Again, thank you so much for the directions!

It worked like a charm. I needed to insert a clip in the timeline and have the video and 3 audio tracks move as well. First I split the tracks, grouped them and then inserted my video and audio and all the tracks moved.

Jon
Old December 13th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #1712
New Boot

thanks
Old December 13th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #1713
Regular Crew

The flicker is definitely a transfer issue rather than a Vegas issue.

Virtual Dub's deflicker filter will do a pretty good job. also, the previous suggestion about a variable speed projector can work well, especially if you ride the speed control. Typical camera shutter speeds of 1/60 are usually the best compromise.

I do these transfers professionally, but specific questions are cheerfully answered free of charge. Contact me at rmorris21942 at yahoo dawt com.
"Before they are gone forever..."
Old December 13th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #1714
Major Player

File Size Surprise

I just rendered a 2min video into .WMV format, and was about to load it on my website. But then I discovered that the file size is 168MB !! This was just a tiny bit of text FX (10 seconds at beginning), 2 minutes of music and a bunch of short video segments, commercial style straight cuts. What did I do wrong? All clues appreciated.
Old December 13th, 2004, 09:17 PM   #1715
Major Player

Sounds like you rendered it at 720x480. Pick a smaller physical size.
Old December 13th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #1716
Major Player

720 X 480 is huge. Also consider getting Soreson (Codec) or a similar product to compress your work. i.e. I recently turned an 8.7 MB file (Rendered as an MPEG 2) into a 2.8 MB (MPEG 4) at 480 X 360 for :26
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #1717
Major Player

Thanks Rhett, that did the trick. :)

4.5 MB now :)

There are just a million little things to think about, aren't there?
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #1718
Tourist

Ok, ow I am trying to figure out my projector specs. I have a Revere Model p-90. It has a variable spped motor with 16 fps normal speed. Does anyone know the range of speeds for this model as it seems trhat adjusting the speed is not helping with the flicker
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:58 AM   #1719
Fred Retread

Excalibur Question

When I run multicam, the last (190th) selected camera segment in the event is not transferred to the master track. The master track is blank there. And that segment still shows as picture in picture in the preview screen.

1. any suggestions to make the wizard do this correctly?
2. Can I fix by editing manually?

[EDIT]
After some experimentation, I found that the last segment simply needs to be terminated with a marker, and then Excalibur works flawlessly.
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:53 AM   #1720
Major Player

.avi file playing problems

hi. i rendered a short clip (about 650 MB) to .avi and burned it to a cd. when i play the clip using windows media player directly from the cd, it sort of stutters. the motion is not smooth. i copied the file from the cd to my desktop and played it from there. it played perfectly.

how come? anyone have any ideas?

thanks
Old December 14th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #1721
Regular Crew

Tim,
I have a Revere P-90 under my bench somewhere. I tried it as my first machine for transferring regular 8 mm before I bought one of Moviestuff's CineMate units.

From your post, I'm assuming that you can observe the change in speed of the projector as the speed dial is turned.

There are three (or more) possible problems.

It may be that the projector cannot reach 20 fps and needs oiling. (I found that 15fps almost always gave the impression that the projection was too slow. The old cameras were spring wound, and frame rate was sort of an average. )

The instruction book does say that 16 fps is the normal speed, but it does not say what the range is. I can tell you that mine would reach 20fps, based on the dissappearance of flicker.

It is also possible that your film is "dragging" in the projector. Film dries out and must be cleaned and lubricated to protect it from scratching. Unlubricated film can also cause projector belts to slip, preventing the 20 fps from being reached

Another possibility is that your camcorder is not being locked to 1/60 sec shutter speed. If it jumps to higher speeds you can get some very strange effects. 1/60 seems ideal, 1/30 and 1/15 will work but with increasing softness of image. If you are using the original 500Watt+ bulb, your camcorder may be going to a higher shutter speed. Try a neutral density filter, or project to a photo gray paper instead of white to try to knock down the brightness.

While probably not the culprit, turn off any image stabilization on your camcorder.
"Before they are gone forever..."
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #1722
Sponsor: JET DV

Interesting... The last segment HAS been moving for me without the need for an ending marker. But I'm glad you found a solution that worked.

If you ever have a segment that does not move, it CAN be done manually. Simply pick the desired clip, manually move it to the Master track, remove the Pan/Crop settings, and then remove the Border effect.
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #1723
Sponsor: JET DV

Can't read the file from the CD fast enough to prevent the stutters. Your hard drive is faster allowing it to play correctly.
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #1724
Major Player

One thing I notice in my files is a short interlace artifact between cuts.

The footage is progressive (DVX100) but when one scene cuts to another, there appears a split second bleeding interlace effect.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It pops up only in the rendered footage.

Brian
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #1725
Tourist

Ralph,

Thanks for the info. Tried everything but the lube part. What kind of oil should I use to lube the projector? Also what is used to clean /lube the film? I think I'm getting somewhere with this and this may solve my ills. Thanks.

Tim
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...