Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 109 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 5th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #1621
Major Player

after effects to the rescue!!!

The paint tools in after effects will do this cleanly. You can use the clone stamp on a series of frames or a frame at a time.
Or, if this is a talking head shot, perhaps you can use a clever matte to isolate the talent.
Or, if this is a documentary work, you can use 2nd camera shots while the orator describes the details in the third person...
Old December 5th, 2004, 11:00 PM   #1622
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : WHERE do you see this MPEG2 file stutter?

Vegas?
DVDA2?
After you create a DVD and play it back on a computer?
After you create a DVD and play it back on a TV? -->>>

When I play the mpg file in Windows Media Player

Frank
Old December 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #1623
Inner Circle

Glenn, why not export a still or two into Photoshop and either:
A- Find sections from other stills and incorporate them into a master background image.
B- Make up the background. The Clone tool in Photoshop is helpful for this.

Alternately:
If the wall is an even color, you can mimic the clone tool in Vegas. The advantage of this is that any video noise is replicated and provides a better match.

Use the masking tools to select a section of wall close to the mic. Use the pan tool to superimpose that area onto the tip of the microphone.
Old December 5th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #1624
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : WHERE do you see this MPEG2 file stutter?
>>>

AND also in Vegas when I import the mpg I just createded ... even with a 24p project and the mpg clip mentioning it's 24p

Very weird !
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #1625
Major Player

Thanks guys! I will get around to all of these mic-removal options in January, as I am still shooting. I just wanted to know what options would be available to me.
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #1626
Major Player

Thanks for the numbers. That makes sense.
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #1627
Regular Crew

But I need it on both. Is there a way to duplicate it?
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #1628
Regular Crew

Title Question

I am doing a mock newscast for a school project and am wondering how I create the name titles you see on the news with this program. I want to have the name with that colored box around it. Also, is it possible to do a scolling message at the bottom of the screen? Thanks

Mitch
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #1629
Sponsor: JET DV

If you choose "left only" or "right only", it will take that ONE side and play it out BOTH.
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #1630
Sponsor: JET DV

Both are very possible. The first is called a "lower third". You can create the image that appears behind the text using a paint program or generated media. For example, just place a generated media on the screen, resize and position using Track Motion, and then place the text over that area.

Track 1 - text
Track 2 - Lower Third (i.e. generated media resized)
Track 3 - Video

To get a scrolling right to left text, just add a text generated media, Type in one LONG line of text, and use the position tab to start with the first keyframe off the right edge and the second keyframe (at the end of the event) off the left edge. This will let it automatically scroll across the screen.

For an article on keyframing (plus MANY other articles) look at the newsletters at the link under my name.
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #1631
New Boot

Rookie: Edit in multiple speeds?

Hello -

I'm brand new and was hoping to use my XL2 and Vegas 5 to produce a demo dvd for job searches. As such, I was interested in attempting a wide range of styles to showcase the versatility of my gear. Since my XL2 can shoot in 24p, 30, and 60fps, would it be possible to edit different events in different speeds but combine them in to one project? Thanks
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #1632

You can combine them all, but the problem you'll run into if you're not aware, is that on render, the various framerates will all be transcoded to the framerate of the project. If your project is set up as 24P, then your 30p and 60i footage will become 24p. Without proper handling, this isn't a good thing.
If you have a 60i project setting, your 24p media will become 60i. So will your 30p media. Without proper handling, and even with proper handling, this is rarely a good thing.
If you are looking to show off each format, render them all separately to MPEG and make your DVD as such. On playback on a regular TV, the progressive scan media will be interlaced, but that's the format, not the render. If played back on a computer, the interlaced will become progressive, but again, that's the format.
It's challenging to mix multiple framerates correctly, but lotsa people do it.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #1633

There are now more comparisons up there, if you're interested in looking at some differences between cams, shooting formats, etc.

http://www.vasst.com/hdv/hdvportal.htm
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #1634
New Boot

Cool - just the man I was hoping to hear from (am currently reading two of your books).

Thanks!!!
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #1635

Hey Imran! thanks for the plug!

Can you please contact me offline?
dse at sundancemediagroup dot com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...