Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 26th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #286
Wrangler

I used to do half-size preview (auto) until I realized in Vegas 5 that slow motion plays back choppy and needs to be kicked up to "good" to smooth it out.
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #287
Major Player

Where are my tapes?

Obviously I missing something here. Create a new project,
capture video from a tape (1), maybe some from another tape (2),
work in project, save and close project. Open a new project capture from tape (?), work in project, want to add some captured
footage from tape (1), where is it? All vegas info is in a certain file, I know the data has to be there, any help? Thanks!
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #288
Major Player

Isn't that what the Build RAM Preview function is for? It builds a non-destructive rendering of the selected event area for smooth preview. I think. I don't use it though I recall DSE mentioning the usefulness in an article he wrote.
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #289
Major Player

Interesting, wonder how long they take to build.
Old July 26th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #290
Major Player

As always, how fast is your confuser, I mean computer? Its a function of how many frames and how many applied effects. Relatively fast though if I remember correctly even on my slow-poke number-cruncher.
Old July 26th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #291
Major Player

My contooter is a P4 2.53, I'm running 512 megs of ram but have
another 512 stick in another box, I'm thinking about putting it in
to see if it makes a difference. You don't get the same 'feel' with
the smaller window, it's nice to enlarge to show someone what
you're doing.
Old July 26th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #292
Inner Circle

In Vegas you can bring up the vectorscopes which show IRE. I think within Vegas you should have the values between 0 and 100IRE, as that corresponds to 16-235 in the histogram.
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #293
Sponsor: JET DV

RAM Render speed should be close to regular render speed. However, it should NOT take very long because you are only rendering a very SMALL section (i.e. it has to fit within your memory).
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #294

Just browse to the folder in which you captured the video using Vegas' Explorer window. Then just drag it to the timeline.
Old July 26th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #295
Major Player

Found em - THANK YOU!!!
Old July 26th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #296
New Boot

Changing the Velocity

ok so i have this 46 minute video, and i speed it up, but it still stays the same length? how is that possible? i was hoping to make it so fast that the whole video would shrink down to like 5 minutes or less, i can take the velocity up to 300% anyway to make it even faster, and to as why the video isn't shrinking in length?

thanks
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:47 PM   #297
Major Player

It should shorten by 1/3. How are you speeding it up?

Dennis Vogel
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #298
Inner Circle

When you drop in a velocity envelope the time will remain the same until you either shorten or lengthen the clip depending on whether you've gone fast motion or slow motion.

For what you've done you will need to shorten the video to the 1st notch in the upper edge of the clip because what happens is the length of time remains the same but the movement is X times fastr so the clip repeats itself. I hope I made that clearer than it sounds. Open the project, insert your velocity envelope set it tothe speed you want (upto 300%) and then SHORTEN the clip to the first notch. You can make it even faster if you render the clip to an AVI and then bring it back in and use another velocity envelope but remember to shorten the clip to the 1st notch again.
Don B
Old July 26th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #299
New Boot

yeah i didn't think that i would get this fast of a responses awesome, but yeah while i was waiting i was playing around and figured that out...too bad it doesn't auotmatically shorten it or lengthen it...oh well thanks for such fast responses.
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #300

You have several options:

1) Use a velocity envelope and then manually resize the clip after applying the new velocity.

2) Hold down the CTRL key and resize the event to the proper size. This will also change the speed of the clip (but you are limited to a single speed change).

3) Use Excalibur's Velocity Wizard which will automatically add a velocity envelope and resize the clip to match the new speed.

p.s. remember you can also combine the velocity envelope and CTRL-Drag technique on a single event.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...