Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 27th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #301
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : You have several options:

1) Use a velocity envelope and then manually resize the clip after applying the new velocity.

2) Hold down the CTRL key and resize the event to the proper size. This will also change the speed of the clip (but you are limited to a single speed change).

3) Use Excalibur's Velocity Wizard which will automatically add a velocity envelope and resize the clip to match the new speed.

p.s. remember you can also combine the velocity envelope and CTRL-Drag technique on a single event. -->>>

and where can i find this....Excalibur's Velocity Wizard? is it some plugin?
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:59 AM   #302
Major Player

Paul,

Excalibur and Neon are at: http://www.vegastoolsandtraining.com/

I have both and highly recommend them. Also, you might want to take advantage of the last few days of the 'Vegas 5.0 Companion' and 'Authoring with DVD Architect 2.0' training DVDs on special pre-order pricing. Gary's previous DVD set was a tremendous help in teaching me the Vegas toolset and workflow.

I'm not paid by these guys, just glad they've made such a fine set of tools and training products to help me.
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #303
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Bisaillon : and where can i find this....Excalibur's Velocity Wizard? is it some plugin? -->>>

Just click on the link below my name for info on Excalibur, Tsunami, Neon, and other things such as the free newsletter.
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #304
Major Player

Edward,

You just reminded me that I've been meaning to pick up Tsunami. I want to add a Picture-In-Picture effect in a project I'm working on and while I know I could do it myself, why bother when you've written the script to do it for me.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to create your newsletter. I faithfully print them out in full color for an immediately available deskside reference and have found them extremely helpful.
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #305
Inner Circle

yeha... not happy dude..

basically i had some interlaced footage i was editing ran afew different speeds of slo mo..

all good in the timeline, final render looked so shit i wanted to scream.. and thats WITH supersampling on to 4..

switched to render as progressive from interlaced footage, now my slowmos are nicer than standalone slow mo apps like DynaPels slowmo and thats without supersampling... its absolutely beautiful now :)
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:30 AM   #306
Wrangler

Peter, what speeds do you slow your footage to? The timeline "should" be an issue of WYSIWYG. I've never had any issues with slow motion looking bad on output. I always render on "HIGH"- with a constant bitrate of 8 mb/s beings my programs are usually under an hour.
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #307
Regular Crew

Peter, let me understand what you did. You captured as interlaced and rendered as progressive and that worked?

I believe this footage was shot as progressive and I rendered as each option I could find with no luck. (Couldn't figure out how to supersample) I thought I might try After Effects as they are supposed to have a great slow motion. I really haven't figured a way around the timing problem other than slow motion. (Stills are out of the question)

Possibly there are other settings I haven't tweaked?

Additionally, the clip, at the part where the bridesmaid is walking in runs at 21fps. It doesn't seem to ever get up higher when looping. If I RAM render, then it gets to 30 frames and then it is jerky. PAL runs at 25. Is there a way to make the clip run at that frame rate in NTSC?

This is killing me!
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #308
Wrangler

Charlie the footage from Bernard's two XL-1s's were shot in "frame mode" which is a faux progressive achieved through frame blending. It's still technically interlaced.
I'd think, if anything, progressive would provide choppier slow motion than interlaced. That's why I don't quite understand what Peter was explaining.
The doc me and Jesse shot was completly in "frame mode" and was treated as normal interlaced (60i) without a hitch.

When encoding to MPG2 try and use a DVD Architect template/preset. Make sure video quality is set to "High" and try a constant bit-rate of around 8 mb/s. Try that on a small section and see how it works out for you.

Again I wouldn't encode it as progressive- but if the above doesn't seem to help....it can't hurt to try.

Edward, have any input on this?
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #309

You activate supersampling on the video bus track.

Since you say it looks better at a lower framerate, had you track changing the "undersample" value in the event's properties?
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #310
Major Player

vegas' mpeg2 encoding

i read an earlier post regarding rendering with vegas to mpeg4. they mentioned something about downloading a codec.

is this true also for rendering to mpeg2? do i have to download a codec?
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #311
Tourist

I can import the video by USB, as a file, then import to Vegas. Or, I can capture through a composite "Video In" on a video card. That you ask, I now wonder if one of those two methods is causing the problem. I have in the past used the video from this camera without the notorious black frames. I can't recall which method I used for which. I guess that will be the next test. Thanks for asking, and I'll let you know the results.
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #312

Rendering to MPEG2 comes standard with Vegas and Vegas+DVD. All you need to do is go to File - Render As and pick MPEG2 as the format. Then you can pick any of the presets. To change the bitrate, just click on Custom.
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #313
Major Player

does printing straight to tape require hard drive space?

when printing a project straight to tape, does this process require a significant amount of hard drive space? if so, is there a way to know how much?
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #314

It requires "some" hard drive space and the amount is totally dependent upon your project. When you do a PTT, it must render all sections of video that have been modified. So, if you've only applied a few crossfades here and there, it won't take much disk space. However, if you've color corrected (or done anything else that affects) large portions of the video, then those entire areas must also be rendered taking a significant amount of space.

Once all of the video segments have been rendered, it will then render ALL of the audio into a W64 file. If you have a 1 hour project, that would probably take around 600 meg.
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #315
Major Player

ok. that's fine. i was worried a 1 hour project with many effects, color corrections and fades will take up more than 5GB or something in that range.

THANKS
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...