Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 12th, 2004, 10:28 PM   #136
Inner Circle

Horizontal Flip/Flop- How?

I'm trying to flip an image left to right. This comes in handy sometimes for video editing (i.e. re-using footage, getting around problems with crossing the axis). I'm sure it's something simple but it's not immediately apparent in the pan/crop controls.
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:46 PM   #137
Wrangler

Wow Douglass, that's big news- a huuuuuuge chain like Walmart is distributing a VASST book- awesome! Congrats.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A3920%3A105315
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:53 PM   #138
Regular Crew

Glenn:

I'm not in front of my NLE PC right now, but from memory, when I did this I used track motion, and grabbed an edge and dragged it to the other side, flipping it.

HTH

ANDY
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #139
Regular Crew

In Pan/Crop, right-click and choose Flip Horizontal.

Gary
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:58 AM   #140
RED Code Chef

It sounds like a soundcard/driver problem to me. Do you have the
latest drivers installed for it?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #141
Regular Crew

A photo montage question

I'm about to do a photo montage for a friend. It's for her parents' 50th wedding anniversary.

I know how to do it, but I have a workflow question. Since I'm planning on using track motion to animate the stills, I'll need to have each still on a separate track. Do you guys just animate the stills one at a time and immediately render them out, then place them together and edit, or how do you handle this?

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #142
Sponsor: JET DV

Animate them with Pan/Crop instead. This will give you at least TWO benefits:

1) It will not affect the rest of the images on the same track
2) It will use the FULL resolution of the image. (You DON'T want to zoom IN on an image with Track Motion)

I always set ALL of the pan/crop changes and then render the whole thing at once.
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:21 AM   #143
Regular Crew

Great, thanks Edward! I appreciate the help. Pan/crop it is, then.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #144
Major Player

Can I create an invisible button in DVDA2?

I saw reference in one thread about using the alpha channel or something along those lines but can't seem to figure this out. If I want to make a part of the background image clickable, do I need to create an invisible button somehow or can I "define" some sort of hot area?

Also, am I able to make areas or buttons interactive to being selected?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #145
Trustee

Stills Motion

Edward is the resident expert and has helped me on many occasions concering Vegas. His advice should always come first. However, when I create my wedding videos, I use track motion for the stills, provided that no two images will appear in the same frame. You can animate images on the same timeline as long as you set in the in and out points correctly. At one time, I, too, thought that I had to use different tracks each time I animated a still or clip. But you can animate your stills and clips as much as you like on your timeline just as long as you keep in mind that you MUST set in and out point AND once the clips and stills are set on the line, you cannot move them. I hope this explains yoru question. I love Vegas 5 and will use it for as long as they continue making it the best NLE for PC desktops.
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #146
Inner Circle

Thanks Gary, that was it!
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #147
Sponsor: JET DV

Hugh, I will NOT disagree that your technique will work and it is one that I HAVE applied in the past (two tracks, pictures alternate between the tracks, keyframes properly set for all images). However, do this simple test:

Place a picture (same picture) on two tracks (not overlapping so you can easily see them both)

On ONE of the images, use Track Motion. On the OTHER image, use Pan/Crop. Now Zoom in on the picture so that you are only seeing about 1/4th of the total image (i.e. tight in on a face). Which one yields the better result?

The answer will always be Pan/Crop because Pan/Crop zooms in on the total image using the full resolution of the image. Track Motion zooms in on the VIDEO FRAME instead.
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #148
Regular Crew

vegas5 or AE5.5?

im going to do a mask effect for an upcoming video for school...its a kids camp about media violence and sterotypes, etc.

i had the idea to use the current logo (simply letters with some rainbow looking lines over the middle) and mask the letters and have shots of diffent kids faces in each letter...this is kinda my intro to the dvd. i was even thinking about making it so that each letter plays a short vid clip of a kid in a domino effect witht he first one starting , then second, then third (and having them run like 7-10 secs each).

i normally edit in v5, but i have after effects 5.5 pro, which i never use...anyone with experience with these apps think it may be easier in v5 or AE?

Old July 14th, 2004, 12:15 AM   #149
Wrangler

Instead of using a mask on the logo, fill in your logo with the alpha channel "color" in your favorite paint program.

Then it's a breeze to do what you want to do in either Vegas or After Effects.

Old July 14th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #150

Choose Insert>invisible button. Then link it to whatever you'd like.
This technique is shown in the VASST DVD Architect DVD. Pretty slick and quick.
http://www.vasst.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...