Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 74 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #1096
Major Player

Yeah, but how do you know which one to trust? That's the real question. What I can't decide is whether or not to just go with the grid on DVDA to decide if it's centered, even when two of three TV's make it look off. On this past burn I adjusted to find a compromise that looks the best on all sets, but it's definitely not dead on in DVDA that way. I suspect it's like trying to make web pages look optimal on the greatest number of computers. There's no sure thing. But I am curious how the big boys decide this stuff for studio releases.
Old October 13th, 2004, 03:05 PM   #1097
Sponsor: JET DV

*I* trust DVDA. TVs are ALL going to be different. I trust that DVDA will be correct IF I could see the image on TV without overscan.
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #1098
Major Player

Vegas contrast / brightness change after render...

Hey all. Well I've noticed that what I see in my preview window in Vegas 4.0e isn't exactly what it exports when I render a file. Example: when I render an AVI and then view it in WMP outside of Vegas, the files have more contrast. I've already checked to make sure my WMP is calibrated to zero enhancements. I do have a track effect of Kodak 5279 applied to the entire project but this is obviously already reflected in my preview window (yes, I made sure I have view effects turned on). Is this normal?
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:55 PM   #1099

Dallas?

Hey gang, I'll be doing some training at a television station in Dallas next week, staying at the Hilton Garden near Love Field.
If there are any of you in that area that would like to get together for a small dinner gathering, we're gonna get together at 7:30 on Wednesday at the Hilton Garden.
Would love to meet some of you.
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #1100
Regular Crew

Vegas. Problems when import CD.

Hi everybody...I bought Vegas 1 week ago...looks good...But I have a problem when import music..The counter goes until 99% and at the end tell what there is an error what Vegas don't recognize...But the weird thing is sometimes do the import, and sometimes don't...Any sugestion is welcome...
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #1101

I use Vegas all the time to read in CD tracks. Haven't seen a problem with it. Not sure what could be causing your problem. Can you do it with something like FreeRip?
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #1102
Regular Crew

problems when import music

Hi Ed...I'm just learning this program..What's freerip?
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #1103
Regular Crew

Text Overlaid

How do you overlay text on the video as opposed to text against a solid background?

I've figured out pan and zoom but I want to transition from a overview map to a blow up map. When I transition I want to have a flashing square in the part of the map that I will zoom to (which will use a different more zoomed detailed image file.) What's the best way to flash the square?

Last I would like to draw an animated line that will follow my pan on the map.

Hope this is understandable...

-Jonathan
Old October 14th, 2004, 03:39 AM   #1104
Major Player

Add a generated text event on a track above the video. By default the background will be transparent and the text solid white. The video shows through all but the text.

If you add a square instead of text (A dot in the default font Arial is a square, just set the point size bigger) you can outline it by making both it and the background transparent. Then you select Outline and set the thickness where you like it. Choose a colour for the outline - white will probably be good in this case. Even if you set the thickness to zero, there will be a very thin outline on your video.

You can blink it with keyframes or by copying very short instances of the event at intervals down the timeline.

The animated line drawn on a map (which is overkill in my opinion - I'd rather have just a moving dot or figure) can be done with Bezier curves in Vegas 5 I think, but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet so I'm not sure.
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #1105
RED Code Chef

Which burner are you using? Sounds like your burner is not fully
compatible with DVDA (try clearing it in something like Nero) or
the media is not fully compatible with your burner.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:45 AM   #1106

Do a search on google. It's a program that will rip songs from CDs.
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #1107
Trustee

No no. It seems that it is Windows itself. For some reason when I eject a disc and put a new one in, or I eject a disc, use it in another computer and then bring it back to my editing machine, Windows doesn't seem to learn that a new disc has been put in.

It's really strange. It seems that because the disc I put in before the DVD was a normal CD, Windows was refusing to accept that a new (DVD) disc had been inserted no matter how many times I told it to refresh, or ejected and reinserted the disc. I keep having this problem and it's really becoming a pain in the backside!
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #1108
Regular Crew

Vega. Audio problems

Thanks Edward...
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #1109

The text must be placed on a track ABOVE the video track. If you make sure you use one of the presets with a checkboard background, the background will be transparent and the video on track 2 will show through behind the text on track 1.

There are multiple ways to create a flashing dot. Tors method will work fine. Another method would be to add a solid color (whatever color you want the dot) on a track above the map, use the cookie cutter to limit the size and position of the dot, and then you could alter the transparency of the dot to make it flash OR change the size of the cookie cutter so that it grows and shrinks.

Getting the line to slowly appear will, somewhat, depend on the path of the line. If it's fairly straight left to right, for instance, you might be able to simply use a transition to get it to appear. If it doesn't, then you may need to use the Bezier tools as suggested by Tors or some other means of masking.
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #1110
RED Code Chef

What operating system? Perhaps time for a reinstall?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...