Beautiful on the Web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old January 27th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Beautiful on the Web

I hope I am not asking something that has been covered, I searched back several pages and tries an archive search.

The 2nd unit episode on back focus looks FANTASTIC on the web. Can you tell us what codec, process and specs you are using to get such a great looking on line outcome?

Thanks,

Marion
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Marion.

Thanks, warmed my heart. I shot that with my trusty JVC HD100, digitized the footage and edited in FCP, color corrected and graded in After Effects at 16 bits using Magic Bullet Editors, the new MB Looks is a great upgrade BTW, and exported the footage at 10bit SheerVideo codec. This gives me the best result without loosing image data. Sheer is a codec that impkements lossless compression. From there I exported the original 720p movie to H.264 using Apple's Compressor set to resize at 360p, with fast start for Internet playback.

Lighting was done using a 1000w large softbox as key on my left side with a gold reflector on my right side.

Hope this helps.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Paolo, Matt Jeppsen over at FreshDV directed me to your site regarding the color tuning on your JVC, and then another HPX500 owner to your back focus tutorial, which I found very helpful. We recently invested in the Ambi2 system with a collection of DSC's rear illuminated charts to help with our in-house R&D program.

I had the pleasure of spending Friday afternoon with David Corley and Mike W. of DSC labs, and they had some nice things to say about you :-)
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood View Post
I had the pleasure of spending Friday afternoon with David Corley and Mike W. of DSC labs, and they had some nice things to say about you :-)
They are really nice people. DSC is doing a lot to promote education in the field and both David and Michael spend quite a bit of time and energy educating people about care of the image.
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Major Player

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that David is not just concerned about our planet, but taking positive steps to make a difference in their business. A back corner of their shop/warehouse hosts a nearly complete ground source heat pump system that they're installing to heat their facility. Requiring at least six drilled holes on their urban site (not cheap), the system will end up satisfying their heating requirements, one of the largest energy challenges for Canadians, using the energy of 1 or 2 beer fridges. If that's not enough, I took a ride with David in his, you guessed it, Prius hybrid...serving him nicely for the last five years.

I'll admit to being inspired by his ethics, and efforts to make contributions in areas well beyond image diagnostics. From what I see of the 2nd unit site Paolo, you're doing your part too :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television