Next Week Teaser...and we mean TEASER - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old July 26th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Like Greg, I'm a long term PC user and have been using Vegas for several years, but with the move to Intel and the price drops on Apple Software...it's becoming mighty tempting. Depends on what Sony does with Vegas 7 in September.

I think Steve Jobs wants to run Adobe completely off of the Apple platform as soon as possible, it least thats what it seems like.

As far as low price options, just downloaded the free Jahshaka compositing tool to check it out.
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #32
Capt. Quirk

I tried the Jashaka once, and it crashed hard, real fast.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
with the move to Intel and the price drops on Apple Software...it's becoming mighty tempting.
What I usually tell people about switching to Apple is that the Mac gives you better quality computing, in general. We are used to try to get the best bargain but sometimes the best deal is the worst. The Mac experience is about making your life, when it comes to compting, more enjoyable. In that it's hard to compare FCP to Vegas because working with FCP means that your general editing expierience is differente and, in the opinion of this writer, of higher quality.
The best thing is that now, because of the Apple stores, is really easy to have a test ride and see what's behind the ads. If you have an Apple store nearby I really advice you to spend 1/2 hour there, it will be worth your time.

Quote:
I think Steve Jobs wants to run Adobe completely off of the Apple platform as soon as possible, it least thats what it seems like.
As competitive as that market is, Adobe is a necessary provider of great software. Apple doesn't have a replacement for Photoshop, Illustrator or Dreamweaver. Unless they plan on buying Adobe out, I bet it's their interest to cooperate with them.

Take care.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I tried the Jashaka once, and it crashed hard, real fast.
The latest version is a big improvment, but not any competition for the current offering of commercial tools. I think maybe in a year they may have something worth checking out. I'm just a sucker for free stuff sometimes. Blender 2.42 should have been called Blender 3 with all the improvements they made in it.
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #35
2nd Unit TV

As you al know, there's realy no buying 2nd Unit's opinion. We run our own shop with enough money to green light our projects and can select any hard and soft ware we want. That being said, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a more ardent nor vocal supporter of the Mac way of life than me and Apple has Paolo to thank for that. I, like Rodney Charters, spend an inordinate about of time in Mac stores (both of our favorites are The Grove) and I'm a complete devotee of the Mac. I'm just learning FCP and have a pretty good handle on Dreamweaver but there simply is no replacement for After Effects or Photoshop. Adobe has their stuff together and it works with Mac. I've been with Adobe literally since their first floppy came off the line and I'm brand new to Mac. I can tell you, I wouldn't change either for anything and hopefully you're seeing the benefits of that marriage in the quality of out stuff here at 2nd Unit.
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #36
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
The latest version is a big improvment, but not any competition for the current offering of commercial tools. I think maybe in a year they may have something worth checking out. I'm just a sucker for free stuff sometimes. Blender 2.42 should have been called Blender 3 with all the improvements they made in it.
Yeah, I like free stuff too, but... it has to work, and be intuitive for me. I've used free 3D stuff, Caligari for instance, and it wasn't that good. I've also used older versions of Bryce and 3d MAX, but my favorite is a defunct program called InfiniD 3D. It just won't run since I upgraded 2 years ago. So, now I build a PC out of old, old, parts just for it to run. And play Duke Nukem. Probably why I stick with Premiere... it's easy. I like easy too ;)
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #37
Wrangler

Quote:
... And play Duke Nukem.
Hehe...."Somebody's gonna pay for screwing up my vacation."

or my favorite line... "It's time to kick a## and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Maybe I should drag the old P166 back to life and challenge you in a frag match. It should be much more fun now with the broadband speeds we have.

Sorry...back to our regular thread topic.

So Jonathan, it sounds like your experience is mirroring mine in terms of learning to like the OSX environment. I still use both Windows and OSX, but the Windows usage is waning.

Looking forward to the coming episode...any ETA yet?

-gb-
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #38
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Maybe I should drag the old P166 back to life and challenge you in a frag match. It should be much more fun now with the broadband speeds we have.
You're on!
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Unless they [Apple] plan on buying Adobe out...
I've seen that as a possibility for the past two years. Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Looking forward to the coming episode...any ETA yet?
Way to bring this weaving thread back to topic, Greg!

To follow up on one of Keith's suggestions, I also would like to put in a vote for having a downloadable PDF with a list of recommended items for a makeup kit and maybe even a one-page guideline of pointers. I realize that this is more work, but extras like this will make future subscribers see the overall value in 2nd Unit--which should already be obvious but the extras can't hurt.
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #40
Capt. Quirk

I agree Jeff. The little extras like a PDF of materials and whatnot would only make it more valuable. And I stayed on topic too! Woohoo!
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #41
2nd Unit TV

I asked Isabella and as it turns out, there's an easy way to compile a makeup kit that doesn't cost that much, especially compared to retail prices. Studio Direct Cosmetics has also offering discounting pricing to 2nd Unit viewers so we'll try to get it together for you all this week for posting on the website Monday. Remember, though, as easy as it appears, you have to apply it correctly. The camera sees everything.
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #42
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
The camera sees everything.
And that is why they have mayonnaise jars?
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #43
2nd Unit TV

I'll simply refer you to Jody's comment on a famouus lady interviewer from the V.
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #44
Wrangler

Quote:
And that is why they have mayonnaise jars?
"Bridge to Captain Quirk, set diffusers on stunning."

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television