Stop-Motion 3D with PC (Perspective Control) Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old March 21st, 2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Stop-Motion 3D with PC (Perspective Control) Lens

Hi, I have a PC lens which has 1" of travel on the shift portion. I'm wondering if I can use it for my stop-motion animation whereby I take 2 photos for every frame.

I know for normal video the distance is 64mm (2.54") but since my people will be around 8" high, I think I'd only do 7mm adjustment? (I'll have to do the math on this later, but the concept stands that I should be doing less than 1" travel on a minimized set - That is the distance between the eyes of my manikins).

Then how do I put the Jpegs into post as a 3D image (red-green shift) assuming I use FCE or FCP on my mac (or is there a special 3D mixing program). I also have Photoshop.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Might work ...

I think that technique would work, however you'd have the convergence at infinity. According to articles I've read about the making of Avatar, its best to have the convergence set to the main subject (whatever you're focused on). And the IO distance can be adjusted somewhat to increase or decrease the stereo effect. Of course, you could adjust the convergence in editing, if you're willing to lose a bit of resolution by cropping and shifting.

One thing about perspective control lenses .... they shift rather than aim, so that parallel lines at one extreme will still be parallel when the lens is shifted to the other extreme. I don't think this is quite the way our eyes see the real world, since each eye is aimed in a slightly different direction..... so parallel horizontal lines for one eye would not be quite parallel for the other eye. (But maybe I'm just nit-picking.)

Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Major Player

You'd have to preview in 3D as you were composing your shot. You wouldn't want to shoot a stop motion just to find the camera angles weren't aligned correctly. Maybe you could take a picture through each camera and bring that into photoshop to preview.

If you bring your left and right eye footage layered on top of each other in After Effects you can use the 3D filter. There's probably other programs that will do this for you as well.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery