SI-3D(2K Mini) or Iconix Studio 2K? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old March 25th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #1
New Boot

SI-3D(2K Mini) or Iconix Studio 2K?

I haven't seen a lot of threads talking about the Iconix Studio 2K for 3D shooting. It seems to be pretty impressive, incredibly tiny for 3D shooting. You can bring the stereo base up to 33.5mm on a side-by-side rig.

What pro's and con's do you see with the Iconix setup compared to the SI-3D system?
Bicky Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Wrangler

I shot my last project with the Iconix. Videography - March 2010 - (16)

There are pros and cons over the SI-2K but a better comparison would probably be the Cunima cameras.

Pros:
Iconix is very very small and therefore can achieve a small interaxial (aka i.o.) in a parallel rig
Iconix uses CCD so there are no issues associated with CMOS

Cons:
The Iconix requires a head cable tethered to the CCU box. When I rented the longest head cables were about 25 feet. That's fine for studio shooting but doesn't give you much room to play in the field.
The CCD is 1/3" and therefore the choice of wide lenses (2.5mm to 4mm) is very limited in C-Mount. It is easier to find high quality C-mount lenses in the 8mm and longer range, which favours 2/3" sensors.

As for recording medium my choice is still to use HDCAM SR tape in dual-stream mode. I'm still not down with completely tapeless workflows of uncompressed media and tape is so simple. Each tape (25 minutes running time) costs over $100 but I think in the long run our workflow was much faster than going tapeless and doing all the backups with all the media, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery