Cheap 3D field monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old May 6th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #1
New Boot

Cheap 3D field monitor?

Hi, do you know about cheap solution for 3D field monitoring? Only one solution that I found was Transvideo CineMonitorHD 3DView but price is too high ($12k from B&H).
Radek Volf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #2
Major Player

That's about it, though Alister Chapman reported it was a fantastic "must have" bit of kit and helped no end. The price though is horrendous.

You can do the two monitors side by side and use a pair of these.
Screenscope Mirrored Viewers for Computers

From what I can gather it works but of course is bulky on comparison to a dedicated 3D field monitor.

Take a look at this clip at 2 mns 30 seconds. Could be the solution you are looking for.

YouTube - 3D Film Factory @ 2009 Cine Gear Expo by Fresh DV
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Panasonic has a 24" or 25" monitor due out towards the end of the year with dual SDI inputs. That's going to be priced at about $9k-10k.

You may want to look at using a consumer TV on set, but you'll have to have some way to combine the inputs.
Arnie Schlissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have a video switcher that will take two composite inputs and switch between them at the frame rate, at the same time driving a pair of shutter glasses. The feed then goes to a standard monitor giving you 3D preview. There is a lot of flicker, but it does allow you to see what you are shooting. The sources must be genlocked for it to work.

The Transvideo 3D monitor is a wonderful piece of kit. I has many nice features that make it an invaluable tool on set. You can set up a grid overlay to measure the convergence, produce image difference views and shift one view left and right relative to the other to simulate post producion re-convergence. On top of all that the waveforms of both channels are displayed together so you can fine tune exposure and white balance. The quality of my 3D has improved dramatically since using this monitor!
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

colorado video is selling some video processors that could help.
some of these video processor are based on a generic video processor board, the MLVXP-01 made by millogic. This board can be programmed to do almost anything, since it is pure digital.
one of the feature offered by colorado video is a board that takes 2 unsynchronized composite inputs and delivers 2 synchronized outputs. As far has i have seen, in fact one input is synchronized on the other.
I wrote to the Millogic representative and they confirmed the board can be programmed to input 2 unsync. composite (or S-video) signals and delivers some kind of field or frame interlaced signal and even going to multiplex both 30p signal and get double speed 60p.
if you just get the board from colorado video, you just need to add a simple LM1881 chip, to extract the Vsync (and ODD/EVEN field id) so you can easily switch fields/frames and drive a lcd shutter.
Once the interface ready, you would be able to connect any camera (with composite preview out) to any monitor or projector. Price would be largely under $1000.
Currently i received the box from colorado video (PAL version) but i do not have 2 cameras to do the tests.
Another way would be to go with a cheap laptop and use multiplexer software from 3dtv.at.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery