3D video format conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old July 5th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Tourist

3D video format conversion

Hi there,

After spending about 20 hours searching google, I thought I would just ask some folks who are more knowledgeable in this field. I have a high def. 3D .mov quicktime file that I need to convert and/or compress to a mpg2, mpg4, avi, or wmv file. Does anyone know of a software solution for converting this 3D file into one of these formats? (Preferably freeware - OS X or windows.)

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Jeff Travilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

you need to find first what kind of 3D is in the mov file (anaglyph ,side to side, frame or field interlaced, top-bottom, which side is where ?).
then you need to decide how you will play these different formats (related to player and technology used for viewing).
then you can easily convert , eventually going first to separation of each channel .
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Tourist

It's in side by side format, and we will be playing it on a Samsung 3D LED, either with the player internal to the TV or the player internal to the Samsung Blu Ray. Neither of these devices support quicktime mov files.

We have other side by side content from another 3D conversion/production company that looks wonderful, and the formats work. It's just the mov files causing the hangup.
Jeff Travilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Major Player

I use Toast 10 on Mac (not free to make BD) to play on players or PC, or ImToo Video Converter on Windows machines to play back on computer, mainly using Stereoscopic Player of 3dtv.at. "Flip4Mac" can also do it on iMac but it costs money. The QT movie must be h.264 for the ImToo converter to work, it doesn't understand AIC format. .mov is a container, not a codec, so it is difficult to answer your question precisely.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

since 3d blu-ray is side by side too, you should just need to convert the mov into a format you can display to the screen. you will probably need to force the screen into 3D mode.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

As Paul mentioned, it would be helpful to know the encoding specifics of the file.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery