Anyone using the SteadyTracker? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 28th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone using the SteadyTracker?

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone is using the SteadyTracker (www.steadytracker.com) and how you find it. It seems to be a cheaper alternative to the Glidecam and Steadicam JR. I have a XM2(GL2) with WD-58H and BP-945, would this weight be too much for a steadytracker???

Thanks heaps
Tim
Tim Ashbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 02:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have an Xtreme Steady Tracker but I very rarely use it. The problem with it is that you're supporting all the weight of the Tracker and camera with one arm. Unless your arm is built like Superman's it's going to get tired after three or four minutes. If you're using it for short 30 second type shots it'll be okay.

I have a PD-150 with a WD-58H and it feels pretty heavy in one arm. I suspect your GL2 is a similar weight. If you want to get an idea how it feels or works, just put your camera on a lightweight tripod with a center column, extend the legs a little bit and try walking around with that. Your arm is controlling all the "steadiness" in the shot. If you're doing a shot where you're circling someone you could probably use both arms and it would be okay but if you're walking then it's really one arm.

It's also pretty easy to balance it but when I used it I mounted a Manfrotto quick release plate on it and just slid my camera on it. It made it much easier to go from my tripod to the Steady Tracker or to my Cobra Crane which also has a quick release plate on it.

One time I followed my daughter with it on Hallowe'en night for about 20 minutes. Never again. I think my arm was sore for about a week afterwards. I've never used any of the other products so can't comment on how it would compare.
Chris Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #3
New Boot

I have the extreme and i love it. i have some formal training in operating and i DO operate body mounted rigs as well. having formal training will help you in the shortcomings of any HAND held stablizer imo.

a while ago i flew a mini-35 with a COOKE 50 lens on my extreme for one particular shot. i extended the post to help with balancing. i also have modified the unit with weights and a monitor to beef it up a lttle.

the key i use in long takes is to carefully switch arms when there is movement in the scene.. so i could be going from DJ (chas loves to DJ!! <g>) to missionary at any time...

practice, practice, practice and you can overcome the shortcomings...
Marc Abernathy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics