XL2 and my left handedness at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 8th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #1
Wrangler

XL2 and my left handedness

I made the mistake of playing with an XL2 in a camera store and now I'm obsessed with owning one. The big stopper was that I'm left-handed, left-eyed, left-everythinged, and you right-handed folks complaining about the uncomfortable weighting and ergonomics of this camera have no idea! Try lugging this thing around on your weak side. My question is: Can this thing be switched? Or must I simply adjust to the right-handed order of things in the Great Chain of Being? The sales dude did not seem at all familiar with the camera.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The stock viefinder, slides further 'out' to let you shoot left eyed, but you can't switch the grip or controlls, so it still has to sit on your right shoulder. Sorry.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm also a southpaw, and in the 32 years I've been doing video and stills EVERYTHING seems to be made for a righty, so you just need to work at it and train yourself.

Regardless of whether I'm shooting my Sony 150s or my JVC5000 it's all for a righty. :-(

Fortunately I'm right eye dominant so that helps a lot.
You just need to work at it and frankly, do some exercises to help build up your right arm and you should be fine.

Good Luck,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #4
New Boot

I'm also a lefty, and it's a big hassle. I have an XL1, and that thing is not very ergonomic for even righties.
The thing you've got to do is grin and bear it. Right now I'm trying to figure out my options for a fishing video I'm doing, and I'm liking the looks of the Gitzo 2380 fluid head, because it can be set up for lefties as well...it's a start.

If you hooked up a monitor for a viewfinder, you could sling it onto the right side of the camera, and then you could put the camera on your left side...unfortunately, it would then be a little awkward to support the camera, unless you had a good shoulder mount. You could use your left thumb for support, and your fingers for iris/shutter control. Your right hand would have to stretch across your body to hold the grip.

If you're using the autofocus XL lenses, it wouldn't be a big problem, just a little ungainly as a lefty. I suppose you could even mount the monitor on the end of the lens, or on the lens shade, so that you could look at it like a viewfinder.

Us lefties have to stick together! Unfortunately, there's not a lot we can do.
Lawrence Bochkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Bloom :
Fortunately I'm right eye dominant so that helps a lot.
-->>>

I never thought about which eye I favour, but now that I think about it I am a left-eye guy even though I'm right-handed.

* picks up DSLR and looks through viewfinder: yep, left.
Roger Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics