Premiere CS3 and new hardware? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere CS3 and new hardware?

Hey there,

I am thinking of upgrading from PPro 2.0 to CS3.

I was also thinking about upgrading my computer at the same time. PPro 2.0 didn't seem to really benefit from multiple CPU's and/or 64-bit OS.

Does CS3 take advantage of multiple core CPU's or a 64-bit operating system?

Right now I am on a P4 3.40GHZ with 4GB RAM. Everything runs fine but I am sure new hardware would make things that much better. I'd only go with a quad core CPU if I thought CS3 would really benefit from it though. Dual cores would be fine for everything else I do with my computer.
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

CS3 does take advantage of the multiple CPU's. It does not take advantage of 64-bit OS!
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Clark View Post
CS3 does take advantage of the multiple CPU's. It does not take advantage of 64-bit OS!
Would the 64-bit OS be better in regards to memory management though? Would it help CS3 in that regard?

Also, does anyone know if the QUADCORE 2.4GHZ vs. DUAL CORE 3GHZ choice has been benchmarked anyplace?

I know the GPU also has a lot to do with performance. I'm planning to get a 8800GTX so that should cover the GPU.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Major Player

That's what I would like to find out as well. I am now running Windows XP Professional 32-bit with 4GB DDR2-800 RAM. But in Windows XP, you only see 3GB of RAM instead of 4. In Windows XP Professional 64-bit, I should see all 4 Gigabytes of RAM. So will that be beneficial? I also heard that Premiere is not a 64-bit application and therefore runs a little bit slower on a 64-bit machine.

I would really like to have this clarified. And I would also like to know how Premiere Pro CS3 is running under Windows Vista.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well from what I can find online PPro CS3 seems to run fine on Vista but no one seems to be running it on the 64-bit version.

I'll probably stick with the 32-bit version anyhow. 64-bit Windows, in my opinion, isn't really ready for primetime. We use it here at work for development and there are always driver issues and other compatibility issues that no one will support.
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Major Player

My experience with running Vista with Premiere is that yes, it will run it--but not nearly as fast as XP Pro 32 bit. My new laptop running Vista is just not as fast as my older machines running XP. I am therefore planning to switch my laptop with Vista Home Premium to XP Pro.
Anyone else having similar experiences?
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Steve - I've had a similar experience with my new laptop running Vista. It is WAY slower than my 3-year old Dell D600 running XP (current laptop is a D830).

Be careful if you try to install XP, however. I did and found that several drivers I needed did not have XP versions. I tried everything I could think of but in the end I had to system restore my D830 back to Vista.
William W. Holcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well at work we have been testing Vista and we have noticed that it requires a pretty decent video card and double the RAM of the equivalent XP machine. CPU doesn't really seem to be as big a factor as long as it's decent.

I don't really have a compelling reason to go to Vista other than I'm building a new computer and figured I would. With a high-end video card and a good amount of RAM it should work out.

It is amazing how Microsoft releases a product that requires quadruple the hardware resources and calls it an improvement. I suppose the hardware makers love it though.
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite