What's missing from Elements? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 25th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Major Player

What's missing from Elements?

Quick question: What's missing from Elements that I wouldn't find in the full-version of Premiere, that would be important for editing an indie documentary?
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It's shocking that the Adobe website doesn't provide a simple chart showing the differences between Pro and Elements -- or at least I couldn't find it after poking around for a while -- the way Sony does for Vegas.

But you could easily download the free trial of Elements and see if it does what you want, and even if you buy it you could likely upgrade to Pro CS3 for a reasonable cost.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
It's shocking that the Adobe website doesn't provide a simple chart showing the differences between Pro and Elements -- or at least I couldn't find it after poking around for a while -- the way Sony does for Vegas.

But you could easily download the free trial of Elements and see if it does what you want, and even if you buy it you could likely upgrade to Pro CS3 for a reasonable cost.
Already have Elements and I -think- it does everything I want. Just wondering if I was missing out on something subtle that made a world of difference. One thing I'm concerned about is that Pro writes-back to BluRay, (and I'm shooting in HD) but I figure there's probably some software that I can get that can bridge that gap (I export to MPEG4, MPEG4 to bluray)
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Here's a thread that may help a bit:

http://www.digitaljuice.com/communit...=1&key=&#71742

... but it doesn't go into great detail.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Here's differences I've found so far.

Keyframes - in pro you can enter as many keyframes as you want to create changes in volume, frame position, frame angle, and tons of other things. So far in elements I only found keyframes in the fade in and fade out function for audio clips, where you get only two preset keyframes to fade in and fade out your sound clip.

Blue and green screen keying - pro has huge choice of options for this (shooting on a color background and replacing the background with something else). I have not used it in elements and I don't believe it has it.
Mark Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Major Player

Going to move up to Premiere Pro - one thing that Premiere Pro has that Elements doesn't is 24p support!
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite