CS3 Not Using Available RAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 28th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

CS3 Not Using Available RAM

I have a PC with 4GB of RAM and 4 virtual processors. Premiere CS3 uses all of the processors, but only about 1GB of RAM. Vegas consistently uses 2GB, which I think is the max for one program.

This makes Premiere CS3 preview and render very slowly. Same thing happens with After Effects.

Is there some setting I need to change for CS3 to use more RAM?

Buddy
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Major Player

What operationg system are you running? XP, Vista?
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am running XP SP2.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Major Player

i find that AE7 has the same problem.. i have 3gb but it only recognises 2gb on start up... I wonder if CS3 does the same thing? I'd certainly also like to know..
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I believe the "using on 2GB when 3Gb are installed" is a Win Xp issue. There is a /3Gb switch you can try on Windows start-up, but when tried that I got some incompatibility with my graphics card.

My issue is using only 1Gb when over 2GB are installed.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Actually Vista handles more RAM better than XP. XP still tries to unnecessarily free up RAM, and as we know, free RAM means wasted RAM. Vista seems to take up more memory, but it uses it better.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Major Player

32bit appz

Hi guys,

On 32bit OS:s like XP and Vista 32, the common memory space for programs are 2 gb. 2gb are reserved for virtual memory and expansion cards.

With the /3gb switch you can tell windows to offer 3gb to 32bit programs, ONLY programs compiled in a certain way(flag) will be able to use the extra memory.

Or do as I, go 64 bit. I have Vista 64bit with 4gb mem. I start Premiere Pro and he gets his 2gb( Yeah I runt 64bit OS, but premiere is still 32bit) - and I start photoshop and he also gets about 2gb - so basically running 64bit gives you the possibility to run MORE 32bits apps with more available memory. And when/if Adobe release 64bits versions...

// Lazze

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite