Goodbye Premiere - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 13th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
And once you've worked in Color, you will absolutely abhor the way that color correction is done in Premiere. Or FCP, for that matter
After having spent much time with the Color Corrector 3 way in FCP I would suggest to anyone interested in color correction to stay away from that. As a matter of fact stay away from CC in the NLE and do it in After Effects. Magic Bullet Colorista on the other hand has given me excellent results and is so easy to use that I was doing secondary and tertiary CC minutes after installing it and, unlike Color, I can do that directly inside the host application.
You start by applying Colorista in Premiere for a quick "eyeballing" of the scene, move to After Effects and your Colorista settings are carried over. At that point you can use all the masking tools of AE to go selective. BTW, AE's Levels and Curves CC tools are fully 32-bit enabled so you can do a lot there without going out, render, re-import etc. In fact this workflow is what motivated my move from FCP to Premiere.
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone View Post
Let's try to stay away from the PC vs Mac argument. The idea that PCs are cheaper than macs has been debunked many times as being bogus.
I have nothing against macs. Both pcs and macs have their advantages and disadvantages. It depends on what you want - and everyone knows pcs are cheaper, if that is important to you.

If it wasn't for the more expensive hardware, and the fact that you can't build your own, I would have gone for Final Cut Pro. I've tried premiere pro - since there are many people here not happy with PP, I was wondering if Vegas might be better (although I doubt it).
Mark Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Normaly I never complained about software (also not about Microsoft), but CS3 is the most unstable what I ever have seen.

Especially that "low memory" problem kills me, because I can render only a 10 minute HD project. Then Premiere tells me that my Watercooled Octocore machine has not enough resources to render it! :-( In there specs is not writen that you need a NASA computer for this. So why doesn't it work? I sitched the settings allready to "memory" and not "performance". Also I removed one CPU in the hope that with a Quadcore it'll maybe work better. Nothing!

Furthermore pictures cause trouble, Titel Designer doesn't work well ect .... When I bought CS3 I thought "Ok, every software can have bugs when it's new", but after all these month Adobe isn't able to fix the problems. This really makes me angry. Why is such a big company not able to fix the problems now? There are not only a few people complaining in the www about this.

When the problems will not be fixed for IBC in Septermber you can film "Rambo 5" when I'll visit the Adobe stand!

Maybe I should try Edius or Vegas, but I worked for years with Premiere and my main problem is that I started editing some very big project in CS3 allready. I don't like the idea that this work was nearly useless now.
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #34
Major Player

It sounds like you have overclocked your PC. Turn off any enhancements that you have done. It is probably creating some unstability. I recently editing down 8 hours of XDCam footage on my 3 year old HP Workstation. It runs just fine.
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #35
Major Player

Yes, this should become a Sticky on this forum:

DON`T overclock a Premiere workstation. DON`T tweak your system. Premiere runs fine on stable system. I have been on both sides.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I have not overclocked the PC! The reason for that water cooling, was just because that machine was as loud as a car. Now it's quiet.

Is it possible that maybe too much cores can cause a problem? I just tried CS3 on my Dual Core notebook and there it runs without the crashs. Windows accept only 3GB Ram, and when you have 8 Cores every core has only a small memory size to do the job. So maybe therefore my notebook (2GB Ram) works better.
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen Goebbels View Post

Is it possible that maybe too much cores can cause a problem? I just tried CS3 on my Dual Core notebook and there it runs without the crashs. Windows accept only 3GB Ram, and when you have 8 Cores every core has only a small memory size to do the job. So maybe therefore my notebook (2GB Ram) works better.
I'm running PPro CS3 on a dual quad core and it runs great. I think something else must be going on.
Eric Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #38
Trustee

Hey Peter,
If you need a rock solid NLE go with Vegas and Sound forge 9.
It's so easy and quick to edit, can handel SD,HD AND OTHERS allthough with color correction the preview slows down (this will be fixed soon ) It has the pro Tiler which i like and a host of other FX. Rendering in easy and clean, key frames stay in place and the app can be used on most PC machines. Sony sound forge is great for all your audio needs and works well within Vegas.

Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen Goebbels View Post
I have not overclocked the PC! The reason for that water cooling, was just because that machine was as loud as a car. Now it's quiet.

When having persistent problems of this sort, I tend to suspect memory problems.
I obviously don't know what testing you may have already done, Swen.
I would suggest downloading a memory test utility such as memtest86, found here:

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

It doesn't cost anything. And you don't install anything. You download a CD ISO file, burn a CD, and reboot using that now bootable CD.

It comes up running automatically. Let it run...after I've built a new machine, I typically let it run overnight.
If you have memory failures, the problem is most likely memory.
If it was a motherboard problem, everything would be behaving erratically.

You are probably finding the memory problem with Premier Pro simply because it makes your system work like *nothing* else. Both in speed and quantity. And another video editor is likely to do the same.

Give it a try. You have nothing to lose, except some time.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Bill,

thank you for your idea. Yes, I'll try the memory test form the boot CD. But I don't think that there is a memory damaged, because when I just Run for example the ProCoder3 (not form CS3 timeline) to make a wmv or mpeg video it works without any crash! CS3 crashes allways after a few minutes....

Swen
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite