Monitor output stuttering under new system using VISTA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monitor output stuttering under new system using VISTA

Hi

Had the worst nightmare of spilling a cup of coffee over my old editing PC rendering it useless so midway through a project I now am using a new Sony Vaio laptop which has Vista pre installed.

Been having many teething problems and wondered if anyone had experienced any of these and knows the solutions?

Firstly despite having a far better processor and ram than before my output monitor and timeline stutter like crazy even though im using exactly the same cams/monitors as before - is this a know VISTA problem?

Secondly and this is probably very naive but because I have had to reinstall Premier Pro 2 I cant seem to drag a clip across the boundaries on the timeline - i.e. making the timeline scroll! - this is infuriating as I used to this all the time.

Appreciate any help, cheers!

Steve
Steve Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Audio with Vista is a problem when running legacy XP applications.

Up to XP, DirectSound was used for hardware-acceleration of audio. This is the default audio path. With Vista, DirectSound has been deprecated and is emulated with software. Applications using DirectSound by default (i.e., virtually all of them) will suffer a performance hit as the CPU has to do a lot of the grunt work otherwise done by the soundcard.

When playing back audio and video, the audio can break up and can cause the video to be erratic and slow.

The solution is to configure the software not to use DirectSound. Often, the same soundcard will show up as multiple options. Choose one that doesn't say DirectSound.

This problem doesn't always happen - it seems dependent on the software and the audio hardware that you have.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Cheers John - ill give it a try.
Steve Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite