Which Anti-Virus is best - uses lowest recources? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 8th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Which Anti-Virus is best - uses lowest recources?

For a system configured for top performance, which anti-virus is best. I realize they all will use a certain number of system resources. So which one uses the least, giving Adobe CS3 the best performance?
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Major Player

I use Trendmicro's products, and they used to be the best, but the newer releases are no longer as "slim" as they used to be. I haven't tested anything better yet. Skip McAfee and Norton for sure.
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Major Player

I've had good luck with AVG Free... seems not to hog too much memory, runs well, haven't had a virus since I've owned it... and it's free :)

C
Old December 9th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

for a system configured for top performance, the answer is No antivirus.
if your machine is really configured for top performance , i see no reason why it should need an antivirus (at least permanently installed)
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy View Post
Skip McAfee and Norton for sure.
I agree with that 100%! I got F-Secure and it is great!

Mike
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm going to second AVG, its free and uses very little resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois View Post
for a system configured for top performance, the answer is No antivirus.
if your machine is really configured for top performance , i see no reason why it should need an antivirus (at least permanently installed)
The ONLY reason I could see you not having an anti-virus is if you are not connected to the internet (no cord, no wireless). Even if you do not visit any web pages, viruses can simply travel through open connections to your computer.

The added performance boost is not worth the security risk.
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #7
Trustee

I have tried most antivirus products and the best one is not to be connected to the internet. Get youself a cheap second computer and a cheap monitor just for internet use,you will never regeret it.
If you cant do this then I would suggest AVG as the best. Make sure when rendering that the update feature is turned of.

Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Major Player

KVM switches are a lot cheaper than second monitors, desks, mice and keyboards, too... makes it a lot more logical :)

C
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #9
Major Player

are you actually multitasking while editing? if you are not surfing while editing, consider disconnecting from the internet, turn off antivirus and all other unnecessary aps.
Allen Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #10
Inner Circle

That's what I do. My network connection is disabled almost all the time. I just turn it on only to DL updates manually for Windows, CS3 and Cineform... then off it goes.

Cineform recommends not using AVG but I liked it. But now I don't have anything installed as I'm virtually never online with this machine.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Middleton View Post
KVM switches are a lot cheaper than second monitors, desks, mice and keyboards, too... makes it a lot more logical :) C
Another vote for two computers and a $30-40 switch. Tap-tap on the Scroll Lock key and I'm going back and forth between the two machines; one of them fully armed with ZoneAlarm and connected to the world, the other one exclusively in the video business; it's a joy to see it work at lightening speed - when I start it up, it only has something like 15 processes running... the other one has almost 40, no wonder it's slow.

When I have to wait a few minutes for a render or encode, I switch over and check e-mail, surf the web... No headaches, both machines working as expected.
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Another vote for two computers and a $30-40 switch. Tap-tap on the Scroll Lock key and I'm going back and forth between the two machines; one of them fully armed with ZoneAlarm and connected to the world, the other one exclusively in the video business; it's a joy to see it work at lightening speed - when I start it up, it only has something like 15 processes running... the other one has almost 40, no wonder it's slow.

When I have to wait a few minutes for a render or encode, I switch over and check e-mail, surf the web... No headaches, both machines working as expected.
Can you explain what gizmos are needed for this to work? I'm about to purchase a new editing computer and was considering getting a hot-swappable system drive bay so that I can change from one system to the other by restarting, pulling out one drive and putting in the next - but your idea sounds much better. I'd love to be able to have the editing machine still running whilst I load up the alternate operating system. Can you fill us in on what it is and how it works?
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #13
Major Player

Search for "KVM" on just about any computer hardware retailer's site.

It stands for Keyboard Video Mouse, You plug these devices into the switch, and it splits them to the 2 (or more) computers. You hit a certain button, or flip a switch, and it points the keyboard, monitor and mouse to the other computer - instantly switching your workstation. :)

I want to design a similar system, but integrating a PC, a Mac, a deck or two, and a preview monitor - all on a switching system of some sort. A guy can dream, can't he? :D

Carl
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #14
Major Player

The ideal option is no anti virus at all, but unless you are totally anal about checking everything you download on a seperate machine I'd say the best bet is AVG free.

Also I'm putting a guide together for people who have old PC's lying around on how to turn them into bomb proof firewall systems using only three LAN cards and a UNIX like operating system called PFSense. When it's done I'll post a link up somewhere for you guys to have a look.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
Can you explain what gizmos are needed for this to work? I'm about to purchase a new editing computer and was considering getting a hot-swappable system drive bay...
I'm not sure it would do what you need as I'm not much of a computer person (I know just enough to be dangerous). But a KVM switch is a wonderful little gizmo that switches multiple computers while still lets you use only one monitor, one keyboard, and one mouse; the newer models labelled "multimedia KVM switch" would also switch your speaker and a USB port or two where you can plug in a printer for example. They come in different flavors, some for older computers and PS2 ports, others are all USB for keyboard/mouse. The largest I've seen can switch 8 computers.

In my case the switch solves a big problem reported by many part time videographers (professionals use dedicated computers with no other software installed whatsoever), as this thread details it. Using one computer for editing and one for general office tasks (web surfing, e-mail, Word/Excell/etc) is a much better setup than using the same machine for everything, no matter how fast that machine might be.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite