Which Anti-Virus is best - uses lowest recources? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 11th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #16
Inner Circle

The first thing is don't connect ANY computer directly to the internet always go through a router with hardware firewall. Connect both computers to this router and use a KVM switch. This is the switch I use http://www.trendnet.com/products/TK-209K.htm

I have AVAST anti virus , Zone Alarm, Ad-Aware and Spybot on the internet machine and nothing on the editors. The editing machines have internet connection turned off most of the time as well.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #17
Major Player

If the internet machine is based on Linux using virtual machines to run the "desktop" operating systems you don't need the KVM at all, you could use VNC software or simple networking protocols like SSH.

The best thing to do really is not have your main editing machine on any description of network at all! Download all material onto another machine, scan it with a virus scanner, check the usual integrity points and once you're happy with it, use an external drive to get it on your main machine. Only problem with this setup is it's awkward for most people and obviously requires a second machine.

Just use AVG and be careful.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #18
Major Player

I've been using BitDefender without any problems at all. This plus maybe Agnitum Outpost Firewall (although BD has its own firewall if need be) did it for me. But beware - Outpost is rather for power-users than for people who just want to install the program and have nothing to do with it.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #19
Major Player

The most important thing i need is to be able to have Networking with other computers on the Home network. We run several editing machines and need to share files back and forth over the 1000mbs swithc with the 7 computers here. I cant take any chances that something will get in.

I used to actually do this, turn off the internet, unplug, no anti-virus - but i just dont think its practical anymore. Your computer should be fast enough to edit without having to turn off the internet. No im not surfing the internet while i edit. Im saying that on modern computers, will turning the internet and networking and anti-virus off really make that much of an impact on your performance? I don't know... Maybe?
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #20
Major Player

What if I did this,

What if I Had a dual boot; With one partition for internet, and the other for best performance editing. The internet side has McAfee full internet security suite on it. The Editing partition has only AVG free, and windows Firewall. (only for exchanging files over the home network computer to computer) Would I be safe if i did this?

I assume scans from one partition would pick up spy ware, viruses, ect on the other windows partition fine right? Seems like a silly question to ask this, but as if have learned, there are always exceptions that you never would consider. I wonder if Diskeeper Defragmenter on the internet partition would be fine also for defragmenting on the other windows partition?
Old December 16th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #21
Major Player

Probably best to have the two OS partitions invisible from one another, so the "clean" partition is not screwed up by the "internet" one. One further step would be to use separate static IPs, and in the gateway router, block the IP you assign to the editing OS from accessing the internet, which will still give it network access. Then you wouldn't need an Antivirus at all.

Regardless or how many OS copies you install, each should fall into one of these schools of thought, you just need to decide what you are comfortable doing.

1-My system will never touch the internet, and needs no protection.

2-My system will be connected to the internet, and I will take basic precautions, but have no background AntiVirus etc. It is risk, but avoiding web browsing will help, as will a gateway firewall, hosts file mod, etc. (Optionally: I can always reimage to a clean configed state)

3-I will install an Antivirus and accept the resource hit, under the idea that it will maintain system stability and reliability in the long run.

There may be others, but those are the logical ones I am aware of. Having a ghost backup can improve the worst case scenario dramatically, and make option two feasible. I usually choose option 3, but have used the other models in the past. Being dual boot means you can select more than one option, but each of the shortcomings will still apply to that instance.
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Another option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall View Post
Im saying that on modern computers, will turning the internet and networking and anti-virus off really make that much of an impact on your performance? I don't know... Maybe?
It depends on the software used and the level of protection desired. On my "external" machine I have ZoneAlarm set to "full protection" - when I turn on that computer, I can't do anything with it for the first 3-5 minutes (ZA checks every single program starting up); later, if ZA decides it needs to check for updates, again, everything else goes to standby - but that's OK, I want it this way - I am a constantly searching soul, and often stumble upon malitious sites blocked promptly by ZoneAlarm. My other computer runs video stuff at full speed, never bothered by antivirus interruptions. Trust me, turing antivirus on/off makes a HUGE difference.

Depending on your specific conditions you may have another option, Tyson. Some internet providers offer a service where THEY filter everything that comes to you. With this, you might be able to use all of your machines without antivirus, or with some form of a less intrusive antivirus.
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #23
New Boot

I have had no problems editing or rendering on vista & xp workstations running NOD32 from www.eset.com. Very lightweight application with excellent 'in-the-wild' detection results.
David W. Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
But a KVM switch is a wonderful little gizmo that switches multiple computers while still lets you use only one monitor, one keyboard, and one mouse...
I threw several KVM's in the garbage when I found and started to use this:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #25
Inner Circle

From what I see, Synergy only works on networked computers, so it's not for me. I don't want my editing machine to have any connection with any other computer in order to keep it safe.
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:08 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy View Post
Probably best to have the two OS partitions invisible from one another, so the "clean" partition is not screwed up by the "internet" one. One further step would be to use separate static IPs, and in the gateway router, block the IP you assign to the editing OS from accessing the internet, which will still give it network access. Then you wouldn't need an Antivirus at all.

Regardless or how many OS copies you install, each should fall into one of these schools of thought, you just need to decide what you are comfortable doing.

1-My system will never touch the internet, and needs no protection.

2-My system will be connected to the internet, and I will take basic precautions, but have no background AntiVirus etc. It is risk, but avoiding web browsing will help, as will a gateway firewall, hosts file mod, etc. (Optionally: I can always reimage to a clean configed state)

3-I will install an Antivirus and accept the resource hit, under the idea that it will maintain system stability and reliability in the long run.

There may be others, but those are the logical ones I am aware of. Having a ghost backup can improve the worst case scenario dramatically, and make option two feasible. I usually choose option 3, but have used the other models in the past. Being dual boot means you can select more than one option, but each of the shortcomings will still apply to that instance.
Mike, we've tried every which way and your #2 seems to be the least hassle for our editing machines. We have 8 computers on our network, all behind dual router firewalls with dynamic IP's from our ISP.

Only our CS3 machines run "naked", as the rest have full protection schemes. Since updating is a constant process, it's impractical for us to disconnect the faster machines from our LAN or the Internet. Any surfing done on the main editing computers is limited to a very few, "safe", trusted websites (like this dvinfo.net).

Having Internet connections seems to make very little difference to these quad systems on a GbE LAN, but having antivirus' does.

A wireless router connected to our network (very well protected) gives us internet access for 3 laptops, often these are running on our desks beside our main computers. That way, we can Skype/surf/email/DVInet our way through the days and nights without risking our main editing machines. Always nice to have that access while rendering...

We are very leery of having a single "security point" for outside access, as sometimes probs can come (rarely though) from flash drives or CD/DVDs used internally. This way, every computer on our net (except the main editors) is protected.

By keeping everything backed up, this scheme seems to have worked quite well for a good while now.

As to having "few running processes", I can't imagine anyone having only 14 processes if they have RAIDs, defraggers, graphics card software and any specialized keyboard (like a Bella). Seems like what they might gain in CPU cycles (very little), they would lose in their lack of productivity tools!
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Lewis View Post
I have had no problems editing or rendering on vista & xp workstations running NOD32 from www.eset.com. Very lightweight application with excellent 'in-the-wild' detection results.
I second Nod32. I have it on both my and my wife's computers. Works very very well, and it does not interfere with either video editing (me) or game playing (wife). It's such a light weight program you'll really not notice it.

Turning the internet off really seems impractical, especially in terms of downloading software/driver updates or looking for answers, etc. But then, I only have the one (functional) computer. But I've never noticed a problem with performance (once I reformatted and reinstalled to get rid of Norton...).

ciao,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite