Premiere CS3 - Presets for XHA1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 11th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #1
Major Player

CS3 Capture Presets?

I don't see a preset for captureing 24f video or 30f in HDV with Premier Pro CS3.

Can anyone expalin how to set up a Custom to capture these to frame rates or how to get some presets that will work.

Denny
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Premiere CS3 - Presets for XHA1?

In premiere 2 you could download Editing presets for Canon XHA1 or XLH1 cameras that listed frame modes F24 or F30... but in premiere CS3 i don't see these presets? - Are they not a native part of CS3 version? I have noticed in PremCS3, you have HDV presets for 1080p, and if you go to Custom you can select 23.976fps frame rate... which i guess maybe thats what i need for the canon XHA1???

I looked for downloads but the canon modes are only listed for Premiere 2.0... See here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

And also, apparently export to tape cannot be used for these canon cameras? Bo-hoo... :(

http://www.adobe.com/products/premie...0this%20camera
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Basicly i'm trying to ask if i should install the presets for Canon HDV into premiere CS3 folders - or will this mess anything up since these presets are made for premiere 2.0 ???
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #4
Major Player

It comes with a HDV 1080p30 preset. Making your own 1080p24 preset takes just a few seconds.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The presets made for CS2.0 don't mess up anything for CS3, to answer your question.
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Have you guys downloaded the 2.0 preset and got it to work in CS3?
I tried and it did not work. I do not see any Canon presets in my new project window.

If you did get them to work and you created a project and then captured footage, does the captured footage need to be rendered in the timeline (red line above it)?

Scott
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gold View Post
Have you guys downloaded the 2.0 preset and got it to work in CS3?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gold View Post
If you did get them to work and you created a project and then captured footage, does the captured footage need to be rendered in the timeline (red line above it)?
Scott
I have not captured footage with Adobe, but when I import 30F footage that was captured with HDVSplit, it *does* have the red line above it. That's true for both the Canon HDV 30F preset as well as the HDV 30p that ships with it. The performance is real-time in either case.
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:18 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
It comes with a HDV 1080p30 preset. Making your own 1080p24 preset takes just a few seconds.
Take a look at this link

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=6075

Someone found noticeably quality loss working on 24p footage. Later on, it was because he didn't use the 24F preset download but modifying the HDV 60i preset.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Take a look at this link

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=6075

Someone found noticeably quality loss working on 24p footage. Later on, it was because he didn't use the 24F preset download but modifying the HDV 60i preset.
There is misinformation in the link you posted. He states that the quality setting of the program monitor affects the output quality; it doesn't. The rest of his post is only about one small part of Premier Pro, the Adobe Media Encoder. His problems certainly do not exist in the normal Premier Pro export feature when using the 30p preset.
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM   #10
Inner Circle

If you read closely the thread, you will see the OP has video quality issue. His original conclusion was stating the preview window quality setting has effect on final output. That was wrong. He indicated he modifed the 30p preset to 23.976fps. Here's a quote from post #15

"I create a 24p timeline by customizing a 30p HDV preset, changing the frame rate to 23.97p. I make sure I check off 'frame blend' "

Then I told him to try download to use the Canon 24F preset from adobe.com. That fixed his problem.

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?p=50529#post50529

If you continue to read that thread, 2 more premiere users also fixed other issues by using the 24F preset. So the other user poster this thread

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=7534

btw, someone also try the preset for Mac CS3. it works too.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Ok, I got the PP2.0 presets to work in CS3. The only problem is that when I drag clips to the timeline they need to be rendered (they have the red line above them).

This does not happen with PP 2.0.

If you are using the CS3 and the Canon HDV preset, do you have the same problem as me?
Old March 1st, 2008, 11:54 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
If you read closely the thread, you will see the OP has video quality issue.
Sorry, you're right. I only read the first page. I'm glad that it's helping people, but when I compare the uncompressed output of CS3 with the Canon HDV 30F and the Adobe 30p presets against the original files, I don't see the quality issues that were indicated in the thread. Perhaps it's only for 24F.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I just shot about 10 minutes of HD 24F footage with my XH-A1.

I opened PP 2.0 and captured the footage with the PP 2.0 Canon 24F preset. I dragged it to the timeline. I can play the footage with no need to render.

I then opened Premiere CS3 and captured the same footage with the PP 2.0 Canon 24F preset. I dragged it to the timeline. I get a red bar above the footage telling me I need to render the footage.

It looks like CS3 even with the presets doesn't understand the footage like PP2.0.

Question: People that are using CS3, does this happen to you as well?
Have you done anything to correct this issue?

Scott
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Scott,

As Daniel answered earlier, yes, the red bar does appear over the timeline and it does have to be rendered. Possibly because it was originally intended for PPro 2.0? Adobe should get on this.

But it still produces a viable way to edit 24F and 30F in CS3. It hasn't effected me negatively yet and because of the integration with the other programs in the production suite, CS3 is still faster for me than 2.0.
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:48 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I don't think the RED bar matters much in CS3 for HDV editing. Unlike DV AVI editing, CS3 will render .mpeg anyway even if no effect is applied to the clip.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite