Still image handling in PP3 vs PP2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 5th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #1
Trustee

Still image handling in PP3 vs PP2

In Premiere Pro 2 I often used to make slideshows by pulling in a bunch of 1-2 MB jpegs and adding some scaling, transitions etc.

When I try the same thing in CS3 my system (Core2, 2GB RAM, 32bit XP)rapidly grinds down to a snail's pace - presumeably because of memory limitations.

I've seen other posts saying similar.

Can anyone explain WHY the behavior of the program has changed in this way? Is this somehow a 'feature' ..... or is it a 'bug' that we might see fixed in a future version?

Last edited by Graham Hickling; February 5th, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Trustee

I've learned that if you want to use stills in PP, down res the pictures to something close to the size you'll need for PP before you import them.

Photoshop CS3 has a nifty feature that let's you apply a number of actions on whole folders of photos at once. You don' even have to open them in PS. I did a project last fall that used about 1,500 pix. I set up a batch process that would auto color, down res to 800xwhatever and change the pixel aspect ratio to .9, then save as a .tif. This made things caboodles easier, and let me keep most of what's left of my hair.

I don't remember the details of how to do it and I'm not near Photoshop at the moment but I think the command is File/Batch. I learned of this solution from a board several months ago. I think it might have been on the Adobe PP CS3 User Forum.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, but ... because I'm moving and scaling the images I need quite a bit more resolution than the 1080i timeline of the project itself. The thing is, I can revert back to PP2, which I have on the same machine, and it handles the images just fine. Seems like a step backwards - I'm wondering what Adobe's rationale for this is?

[That command is actually File/Automate/Batch if anyone's looking for it....]
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite