Can't get external monitor (Video and computer) to work on NVidia8600GT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can't get external monitor (Video and computer) to work on NVidia8600GT

I am again asking this wonderful forum for help!

I am busy trying out Premiere Pro 8 CS3 (trial). I can't get the video playback to show up on external monitor (only small display on main monitor top right hand corner as per default Premiere Pro)

Just for info, I have managed to get Vegas pro 8.0 to work on the external monitor (both composite video via S-Video and SVGA to an HP CRT computer monitor) without any problems. BUT I can't get Prem Pro to do the same!

Here is my setup and what I did:
Vista Home Premium (and SP1)
Core2Duo Processor 2 Ghz
2 Gb Ram
nVidia 8600GT card
19" LCD Wide (main monitor)
17" CRT (HP 7500 - just to test concept) (working 100% with Vegas)
Composite monitor with S-Video input (working 100% via Vegas - not the same as 17" CRT though!!)
nVidia settings (set up Multiple display via nVidia Control Panel):

Dualview enabled (configured independently from each other)
LCD + TV or
LCD + CRT (as said both options work 100% in Vegas Pro 8)

Monitors identify correctly as number 1 and 2 being displayed in big white letter in middle of both screens when requested to identify monitors

NOW: In Premiere Pro 8 under 'Playback Settings' I have the following:
Under Realtime Playback:
Desktop Video Display During Playback - Ticked
External Device: DV 25i (720x576) and in drop down - only NONE
Aspect Ratio Conversion: Hardware (if supported)
Desktop Audio - Ticked
Under Export:
External Device: DV 25i (720x576) - ticked - only other option in dropdown is NONE
Disable Video Output when PremierePro is in the background - ticked

Desktop Display Mode:
Standard - ticked

24P Conversion Method:
Interlaced Frame - Ticked

What am I doing wrong?

I would appreciate any help!

Funny thing is the card is working 100% (as said I am comparing Sony Vegas with Premiere Pro on same installation and Vegas is working 100% on external monitor - full screen video)

I hope I am making sense on what I typed!
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Trustee

From glancing at that, it appears you are telling Premiere to send the footage out over a firewire cable (the DV25i bit).

I've lost track of how the latest Nvidia drivers work, and whether the 8600 supports overlay, but the Nvidia drivers should/may have settings so that the overlay is automatically sent to the 2nd display, or else that the 2nd display will show up as an HDTV in the premiere drop-down. Though that second option may require composite rather than s-video cables as the connector.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Graham

Thanks for your prompt response!

No, I do not have any firewire equiopment or cards connected to this specific computer. This one does not have any firewire card or ports natively on motherboard (yet).

Setup from nVidia 8600GT:
Connected LCD Monitor (Main monitor) from DVI Output (1) on nVidia 8600GT
Connected CRT Monitor (HP) from other DVI Output (2) on nVidia 8600GT
or
Monitor from S-Video output (not used at same time DVI output 2). As said, no firewire capability in this PC (at the moment)

I have no idea where the DV 25i comes from in the playback settings in Prem Pro

Am I complicating things with poor explanation?

Regards
Danie
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Any ideas on how I can solve the problem with the external monitor on Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 as described?

Apologies for bugging this forum but at the moment it is a bit of a show stopper and influences my decision to upgrade to Premiere Pro CS3 or to swing towards Sony Vegas Pro 8 where the external monitor is working 100% BUT the learning curve for me on Vegas will be much steeper as I am familiar with the Adobe Premier way of doing things (having used Premiere 6 a lot)!

Thanks in advance!
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #5
Trustee

The only way to view your time line on an external TV is to use fire wire to your camera/deck and pass the signal through to your TV. You can't use your graphics card.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for your response Harm! From what I read from other forums, the nVidia 8600GT is suppose to be able to do that (see below:)

Howard Cromwell said:
How to get fullscreen preview in Premiere CS3 on your monitor

This works on my dualscreen setup running 8600GT GC.

Quite simple, Program Monitor > Playback Settings > Realtime Playback > External Device > Monitor 2 1280 x 1024 8 bit.

This means you lose the choice to output via a DV device to external TV, but it's up to the user to decide. This setting must be chosen when creating a preset project, if you do not chose it initially it will not appear later during the project.

Make sure to enable "disable video preview when Premiere is in the background" otherwise your second monitor will be locked up

With my installation, I don't have those options! Perhaps I should go back to 'older' drivers of the 8600GT?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Danie Pretorius; May 30th, 2008 at 07:16 AM. Reason: delete duplicate
Danie Pretorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for your response Harm! From what I read from other forums, the nVidia 8600GT is suppose to be able to do that (see below:)

Howard Cromwell said on http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Monitor :
How to get fullscreen preview in Premiere CS3 on your monitor

This works on my dualscreen setup running 8600GT GC.

Quite simple, Program Monitor > Playback Settings > Realtime Playback > External Device > Monitor 2 1280 x 1024 8 bit.

This means you lose the choice to output via a DV device to external TV, but it's up to the user to decide. This setting must be chosen when creating a preset project, if you do not chose it initially it will not appear later during the project.

Make sure to enable "disable video preview when Premiere is in the background" otherwise your second monitor will be locked up

With my installation, I don't have those options! Perhaps I should go back to 'older' drivers of the 8600GT?

Thanks for your help!
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Trustee

I too had this issue with my 9800GT. I have two monitors and one HD tv connected to my video card. Mine would only have the option to external to my 37" HD, never monitor 2. Now you can't run all three at once, I know this. But even with JUST monitor 1 and monitor 2 connected -it still would never give me the option to full screen real time external bla bla. So my workaround was just to make the program window as big as it would go on my 2nd monitor.

TODAY I found that if you create a CUSTOM project the option appears in Playback Settings!!!! Now no matter what type of footage I have I just create a new custom project with DV settings or HD settings etc. and the second monitor does full screen preview beautifully!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite