Ex1-Connect BPAV folders to CS3 Project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 18th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ex1-Connect BPAV folders to CS3 Project

Hi guys,

I have a problem with a big CS3 project I have edit allready.

The EX1 stores each MPEG files in different folders. When I imported this folders to my Project it was not a problem. But now I have done a Backup to an other harddisk and I don't find a way to reconnect the files automatically.

Sure I could do this by hand, but there are about 900 clips in that project! I would spend years for this. Also I tried to change the hard-disk name without any success. In my old SD-projects all clips where stored in just 1-4 folders, so it was pretty easy for the automatically reconnect CS3 can do. But it can not find the clips in sub folders.... why?

Anybody an idea how to fix this problem?

Thank YOU!
Swen
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No one has also this problem or an idea how to fix it?
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM   #3
Trustee

I don't know if there's a simple solution for your problem now. PP "remembers" where the video files were based upon the disk/folder structure of how you last saved your project. When you move the project on disk using Windows Explorer, PP gets confused when it cannot find the files on the same relative directory path. What I've heard is that PP uses the drive letter as the starting point of the directory path. That means that if your project was "Project1.pproj" with a path of E:/videos/Project1.pproj, that's where PP expects it to be.

You might be able to change the drive letter of the drive that you moved the project to to the same letter as the drive where the project was before. You can do that using Windows' "Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management. Make sure that the folder structure on the new drive is identical to that of the original drive or it won't work.

I periodically move projects and have not personally tried this. What I do to simplify the re-linking is to keep all of my source footage in the same folder when I capture/import it when I create the project. If I do this, and I move the project to another drive, I only have to link the first video clip and all the rest will be done automagically.

Hope that helps.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Trustee

Swen,

although you may have 900 clips, I suspect that they are not all in different folders - are they? You should be able to link several clips in one movement.

The other sollution is to move the clips back to the original hard drive and then repeat the link one file and the rest should automatically follow.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Tripp Woelfel,
"What I've heard is that PP uses the drive letter as the starting point of the directory path"

Yes PP works like that. I allready changed this, but that doesn't help. I also don't understand why? Maybe I have to try this again.

"What I do to simplify the re-linking is to keep all of my source footage in the same folder"
For years I worked the same way without any problem. But the EX-1 XDCAM-EX files are allways in a new folder. So you record a 5 second clip, and it creates automatically a new folder. Therefore automatic relink is not possible in PP. Then I thought, OK lets copy those MPEG files just into one folder... then PP tells me it can't read the files :-(

Vincent Oliver,
"although you may have 900 clips, I suspect that they are not all in different folders - are they? You should be able to link several clips in one movement." Sadly that's not possible. Really funny Premiere CS3 is able to handle the EX-1 files very nice, but cause a lot of trouble with the folder structure.

Is maybe CS4 better when it comes to relink XDCAM-EX files?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:19 AM   #6
Trustee

I haven't worked on an EX3 project yet, we start on Jan 6th, your information is very useful. We can now avoid the same situation. I will do some experimentation over the next few days and post our findings.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite