Premiere Specific Tasks - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Headache!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is the first time I edited with allot of clips on Premiere pro. At first I loaded 24 clips, totaling 40 min. and it said low on memory to save and proceed with caution. then I loaded 4 clips at a time and edited them. after 30 min or so it freezes and shuts down. What is the big problem? am I doing something wrong? what can I do?
Victor Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #17
Major Player

Again and again... we cannot give an informed advice without knowing:

-your project settings (PAL, NTSC, HD, SD...)
-your computer config (CPU, RAM, OS, HDD USB/Firewire...)
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #18
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Jiri Fiala;932357]Again and again... we cannot give an informed advice without knowing:

-your project settings (PAL, NTSC, HD, SD...)
-your computer config (CPU, RAM, OS, HDD USB/Firewire...)[/QUOT
here is what I usually work with, I really dont change the settings when I create a new project but here is all the info:
DV NTSC, Standard 48KHZ
-For editing with IEEE1394 (FireWire/i.LINK) DV equipment.
-Standard NTSC video (4:3 interlaced).
-48kHz (16 bit) audio.
-Drop-Frame Timecode numbering.
General
Editing mode: DV NTSC
Timebase: 29.97 fps

Video Settings
Frame size: 720h 480v (0.900)
Frame rate: 29.97 frames/second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9)
Fields: Lower Field First

I record with a Canon XL1, I always want to create great quality videos that dont look like regular camera footage. Maybe I'm using the wrong settings? My computer is a Dell XPS 420, 3 gig ram, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #19
Inner Circle

What else are you running on that Dell? From the description it sounds like you have plenty of horse power, but you're running into issues because of your setup maybe.

The XPS series are gaming machines, so I assume you have lots of other software on the computer. Keep in mind that video editing is a very demanding task, and computers perform a lot better if you dedicate them for that. My experience is that every piece of software will try to "configure" my computer the way it is best for that particular application, and the end result is a messed up machine. I have achieved the best results reformatting the computer and loading strictly the minimum soft I need for editing, nothing else, no antivirus, no surfing of the internet.
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I dont use the computer for gaming at all, pretty much just media, and I still have over 300 Gigs of hard drive space open, I cant explain it!
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Victor are you storing your media files on the "C" drive?

Have you shutdown all the "Bloat Wear" that vendors like Dell and HP and Gateway load onto the systems they market?

Are you using Vista and if so have you shut down all the eye candy and other resource hogs that come with it?

I hope this points you towards a solution

Grayson
Grayson L. Wideman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I have deleted useless programs, and removed all those eye candy features vista has
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #23
Regular Crew

More Tweaks

Now run msconfig.exe from the run menu.

Go to the services tab and note what services are running and which of those a deemed as essential.

Under "Administrative Tools" go to Services, either under its own applet or from Computer Management. Turn off the "non essential" services one by one and see if your system works better.

You should also visit Video Guys and check out their "Research" section for tweaks to XP. They do not recommend running Vista!

a Great Help would be to install a second hard drive as you media drive. And keep your drives Defragged!

Hope this helps

Grayson
Grayson L. Wideman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #24
Regular Crew

yes!! now were talking!! im going to try that today!!
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #25
Major Player

There's no way in hell C2D computer with 3 gigs of RAM would run to insufficient memory with PPro and SD project, even with all the crapware OEMs plague new computers with (BTW: you are free to uninstall all of it, I've yet to see a manufacturer-supplied utility that would do anything more than double Vista's builtin features). Vista actually manages memory better than XP, even if it takes up more of it (this is not a contradiction). I have NEVER run into this problem even on measly 1 GB RAM laptop with Vista. I have actually run Premiere and After Effects simultaneously on it, although that was a wee bit tough on hard drive :)

Unless there is something radically wrong with your setup, which we cannot tell from the info we have. Check if you haven't accidentaly turned off virtual memory, however unlikely that is (under Computer Properties - Advanced Settings - Virtual Memory). Check if Windows recognizes available RAM (in Computer Properties, Win-Pause/Break). Defragmentation is good, but it WON'T make your computer run into memory problems. That's a complete myth.

Fire up Task Manager (CTRL-SHIFT-ESC) and check memory usage (it's on Performance tab). Make a screenshot of Processes and Performance tabs and post it here.
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #26
Regular Crew

thats a good idea, a screenshot!!! im going to do all the suggestions that were posted and open a project with allot of clips, then see if its better, if not ill show pics......how do you do screen shot? ctrl, alt and what else? also, while on the subject, how can I turn someone green like the incredible hulk?
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #27
Major Player

There is an utility called Snip built right into Vista. Type it into Start menu and then snip right away. Or you can use PrintScreen and paste into into Paint or whatever graphic app.

And please do not hijack the subject, create new thread for your Hulk question.
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala View Post
There is an utility called Snip built right into Vista. Type it into Start menu and then snip right away. Or you can use PrintScreen and paste into into Paint or whatever graphic app.

And please do not hijack the subject, create new thread for your Hulk question.
lol, i didnt want to waste space on asking a simple question, but will comply with your request. Yes Sir!
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #29
Major Player

It's not wasting space, internet is huge :) You risk stalling the thread and not getting relevant answer to either of your questions. I suggest asking this question in Compositing forum instead of Premiere forum, it's likely to be quite elaborate.

All the best.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite