Sony XDCAM EX and Premiere Pro - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I should've read this thread before downloading 1.2GB ;)

If anybody is interested: no, this does still not work with the actual trial of PP CS4, downloaded yesterday from adobe.com and installed on a very fresh & pure XP32pro-system. No appropriate HD-Settings for 1080p/i or 720p/i and no importing of mp4 from EX1 or MXF from ClipBrowser 2.5.

Aftwards I installed an Edius 5 trial on that system - and it works great. If there would not exist Encore with Premiere Pro I would now change to Edius, since people love it...
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #17
Trustee

I suspect the difference is that Adobe licence the full Main Concept codec, once you have it, it's available to all applications. If they included it in the trial you could get it for free.
The codec that ships with Vegas is restricted to Vegas only, it is not available to other applications.

I can't speak for XDCAM EX in CS4 which I have but haven't installed. CS3 was upgraded to support XDCAM some time ago and it's been working OK for me. It's certainly nice not having to do the Clipbrowser dance and edit straight from the cards. With a 16GB SDHC card it takes close to realtime before I'm editing in Vegas. With CS3 it takes a minute or two to get all the clips onto the timeline. CS3 can display all the metadata, right down to the serial number of the camera that recorded the clips.

I'd also agree with others about Edius based on the all too quick look(s) I've had at it. It's kind of the sleeper that like Vegas doesn't get the press it deserves.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #18
Major Player

I don't use Premiere but I have the CS4 Master collection so I ran it to check. It looks like it supports all flavours of EX.

I felt like a fish out of water in there though!
Attached Thumbnails
Sony XDCAM EX and Premiere Pro-pp_cs4.jpg  
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Hallo Paul,you tried to burn a blu-ray with CS4? if so, how did you do? I tried to export a 1920x1080 25p project done and I can not export the blu-ray only 1920x1080 25I were 720 50p.Care what is the solution the best?
Thanks
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hello guys, Im running the APPcs4 into pc platform and accepts all the flavors of the EX1/3.
And you can export to various H264 bluray files or mpeg2 Blueray with the Adobe Encoder. It have progressive as well as interlaced at all the framerates and all HD sizes (1980x1080-1440x1080-1290x720).
Alfredo Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #21
Major Player

CS4 export

Can you export out of Premiere onto DVD or cards in the original camera format?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I edit XDcam in CS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
No one is editing EX video in CS4?
I open my Ex1 files directly in CS4 and edit them in CS4
Eddie Coates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
No one is editing EX video in CS4?
Piotr, i give one of my colleagues footage from my EX1 and it works with CS4.
I put the whole bapv onto a portable drive, go to his house, plug the protable drive in, he copies the files to his pc and that's it, he's editing, no rewrapping needed.

Paul.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #24
Major Player

premiere cs4 has little or no metadata support for EX files. Adding names or titles in the Sony Clip browser does not show up on the Premiere Media browser where it would do the most good. Big disapointment
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:51 PM   #25
Tourist

Do we have to download additional drivers?

I have recently added CS4 to my software collection, and I must say it has impressed me in unexpected ways.

I know to edit P2 footage in Premiere Pro, you need to download drivers from the Pany website. Anyone knows if XD CAM has similar requirements?

Is the footage capturing process as seamless and easy as plug-and-play, or do we need Sony's plug-in at some point?

Cheers
Francis Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Lau View Post
I have recently added CS4 to my software collection, and I must say it has impressed me in unexpected ways.

I know to edit P2 footage in Premiere Pro, you need to download drivers from the Pany website. Anyone knows if XD CAM has similar requirements?

Is the footage capturing process as seamless and easy as plug-and-play, or do we need Sony's plug-in at some point?

Cheers
Plug the card in, copy the footage to your editing drive, copy into premiere, edit...so yes plug and play. On my windows 7 computer I did not have to install any drivers...same with my windows vista computer
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM   #27
Regular Crew

No additional drivers on Win XP Pro needed to edit native XDCAM mp4-footage. You even do not need to rewrap to mxf, just directly import mp4 into PP and edit...
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #28
Major Player

XDCAM in mP4 wrapper (like Sony EX) works fine wit hno extra drivers.. still.. no MOV XDCAM like my HM700 does. I have both options (MP4 or MOV wrapper but the the MOV is Final Cut compatibile and easier to handle without all those folders)
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:52 AM   #29
New Boot

.MP4 encode issues with XDCAM EX footage in CS4

oop wrong place to post

Last edited by James Jason Lee; August 21st, 2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: in wrong thread
James Jason Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #30
New Boot

Important to know : unlike many others professionals video editing software, like Final Cut Studio either Canopus Edius among others, which do it for free, Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 do not export XDCAM formats (EX, HD and others). That means you cannot correctly archive your XDCAM work with Premiere Pro CS4. To export your XDCAM project with Premiere, you’ll have to buy Mainconcept MPEG PRO HD 4 plug-in, whose price is 359 $ / 279 € (plus appl. Tax).

This situation is unfortunately not properly indicated by Adobe, that’s the least that one can say. It wouldn’t be false to say it is even hidden.

(Just in case anybody would know how to export XDCAM from Premiere Pro CS4 without buying Mainconcept plug-in, let us know, but I am pretty shure it is not possible.)
Thomas Planquette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite