Mirroring mono to make stereo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 10th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mirroring mono to make stereo

My wireless lav mic is left channel only. Is there a way within PP2 to duplicate that channel somehow to simulate stereo. It's just narator/voice over so "dual-mono" would be fine for this. Or will i have to jump out to a dedicated audio editing app. (which I can do) Just would like to save a step or two.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Audio Effects / Fill Left
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Ken,

One other thing to note here... if you have an second mic on the other channel for ambient sound, you'll have to fill that too.. BUT each time you fill one channel you cut the other... So
I do a copy of my audio and paste it on a second audio track in the timeline and do a "fill left" on one track and a "fill right" on the other... this gives me dual mono for both my mics...
Naturally you can adjust the volume of each individually...

Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Trustee

To follow up on Gareth's suggestion... there is an (arguably) easier way. From the clip menu, select the audio option. That will present you with the menu that will let you fill as previously described. But there's an option that says something like "Treat mono as stereo". You must click that before you drop your clip on the timeline. When you do drag to the timeline, your video will be in V1 (for example) and you'll get two audio tracks. One will be channel 1 and the second channel 2.

I do find this much easier than doing the fill routine. But you must do it before your clip is on the timeline.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite