Adobe Premiere discussions from 2002 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old April 9th, 2002, 10:49 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Is Mini DV Just Mini DV? (With regards to Premiere.)

So here I am just sitting here trying to figure out the best way to edit my video clips. Let me give you the break down of what I have.

Camera: Canon XL1s (For shooting only)
Camera: JVC Cybercam (For loading into the PC)
System: P4 1.5 Ghz, 768 MB RAM, 60 GB 7200 Ultra 133 HD, 32 MB Geforce2 Twin Head, Plextor CD-RW, Creative DVD Drive, Pinnacle DV200 FW Card, and a Sound Blaster Live 5.1.
Operating System: Windows XP
NLE: Premiere 6.00 - 6.02.

When running on a Windows 2000, P III 600 I had no problems I moved to the faster rig and the newer OS problems. I did do some problem free editing a week ago. The only thing I can figure out that I have changed is I added the DV200 drivers. I have uninstalled the drivers and I still have the problems that several people have noted before and what Adobe called a XL1 problem.

So if that is true why was able to edit fine before and now Jagged Pictures Presents?

I thought Mini DV was Mini DV. If I shoot in a Canon XL1s are my shots going to suffer because I am using a JVC Cyber Cam to dump them into the computer? If I get a JVC Dual Deck (Mini DV, SVHS) are my shots going to look worse? Will the computer be able to read the tape?

Your thoughts?

Best regards,
James Rulison
Old April 9th, 2002, 11:46 AM   #62
Trustee

Mate, I'd go back to Win2000. The Pinnacle drivers for XP are new, so is XP. Go back to Win2000, give it about 6 months, then try XPagain with service packs, updated drivers etc.

It most likely isn't an XL1 with Premiere problem
Old April 9th, 2002, 11:56 AM   #63
Regular Crew

But see here is the problem, I really think it's a Pinnacle issue. If I use the Pinnacle drivers and upgrade Premiere at all 6.01 or 6.02 (Windows 2000 or XP) suddenly I have to render the entire clip without adding anything to the clip just the clip. If I press preview it wants to render every frame.

It wasn't doing this a week ago when I was in a rush to edit a colorguard clip for a local highschool.

I think I am going to have to start over from scratch again unless I can figure out away to get the Pinnacle drivers out. I tried uninstalling them and then uninstalling Premiere, but after I re-installed premiere I saw the Pinnacle logo come back.

Best,
James
Old April 10th, 2002, 01:38 AM   #64
Trustee

I've had a DV500 for the past couple of years and the drivers are a never ending source of problems.

Version 1 drivers sucked, 1.1 was a little better, 1.2 worked well with Prem 5.1c, 2.0 works well with 5.1c(what I am using now), 3.0 didn't work with 6.0 and my old motherboard. I've since replaced the motherboard but my Prem 6.0 disk was damaged when my PC came from Australia so I haven't tried that combo.

The trick with Pinnace drivers is to find a combo that works for you and stick with that. If I was you I'd consider upgrading your capture card in the near future as the DV200 is getting old and I can't see Pinnacle supporting it much longer.

If you want to stay with PC, I'd go with something from Canopus and start from scratch. Myself, I'm jumping the fence and going for a Mac/FCP as I think FCP is going to become the DV defacto editing standard, but I'll keep the DV500 system going as a backup.
Old April 10th, 2002, 08:11 PM   #65
Regular Crew

It Works, you were right, THANKS for you help.....
Old April 18th, 2002, 09:41 AM   #66
Wrangler

EDL's with Premiere 6

Hi all,

Situation -
I have edited some footage on my computer at home and am looking at transferring this to another computer at college to finish the editing off.

My question is this -
If I export an EDL from my computer, with all the time codes etc how then will I transfer this on to the computer at college so I can take the footage from the tapes again, and start to edit from where I left off at home?

What EDL would be better?

Is this possible?

What do I need to do?

Do you understand what I mean?

All help is appreciated,

Ed Smith
Old April 18th, 2002, 10:11 AM   #67
Obstreperous Rex

What's at the other end, Ed? Do you have any details about the computer at the college and what sort of NLE system is on it?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 18th, 2002, 10:28 AM   #68
Wrangler

I forgot to mention the most vital part, Doh!!!

Again its Adobe Premiere 6, but on a Matrox RT2500 system.
Basically I'm looking at transfering what I have done at home to finish it of at college.
A basic Premiere to Premiere transfer, but with out my taking my whole system and transfering the files over a network.

Ed
Old April 18th, 2002, 08:10 PM   #69
Patrick_Bateman

Xl-1s editing solutions (works with Premiere 6?)

Okay, first of all, these are my computer specs:
Silicon Graphics 320 visual workstation, two HD's (10Gb and 40Gb, both 7200 rpm), Digital Origin MotoDV firewire card and Silicon Graphics 1600SW Flat Panel... and ohh, I have a Canon XL-1s.

I'd like to know what the ideal editing solution is, without costing too much. I'm not entirely happy with my current system, might be slow performance of HD's or something, at least it's not playing correctly on the computer.

And, what software does support Canon XL-1s as a deck, to capture from and output to? I've been fiddling with Adobe Premiere 6 but can't possibly get it to work. I use MotoDV to capture now, but the playback performance isn't acceptable.

Any ideas on those things?

Best regards!

Old April 18th, 2002, 08:34 PM   #70
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Patrick!

What OS are you running on your SGI 320?

p.s. I have used an SGI 1600 lcd on my Dell workstation and have really like it. It's relatively small but crystal clear!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old April 18th, 2002, 08:38 PM   #71
Patrick_Bateman

Ohh yeah, forgot about the OS... I'm running Windows 2000

Old April 18th, 2002, 08:50 PM   #72
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I moved your post over to this section because I think you'll get more input over here.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old April 19th, 2002, 08:56 AM   #73
Sponsor: JET DV

The Digital Origin Lynx card was not designed to be used with Premiere 6. You will probably have better luck switching to a standard OHCI card which will work directly with Premiere 6. If you have enough money, you could upgrade to a card with some real-time features designed to work with Premiere 6.
Old April 19th, 2002, 10:50 AM   #74
Patrick_Bateman

Thanks for the input Edward.

What is really limiting my upgradeability is that the SGI320 workstation has a 64-bit 3 volt PCI slot instead of the regular 32-bit 5 volt. So, the question is, are there any cards I could upgrade to? Or am I doomed to build/buy another system?

Old April 22nd, 2002, 01:21 AM   #75
Wrangler

yeah, but...

I went to the link and you're right--it is very helpful. Unfortunately, it, and many other sources we've tried, didn't fully address the problem we're having with Premiere 6.

To start, we're running Premiere on two different PCs: Win2K, Aurora Gigabyte 7DX mb, Athlon 1.2 gHz, G-Force 2 & Win98lite, DFI AD70-SR, Athlon 1800(?), don't know sound card. We recently tried the Pinnacle Pro-ONE but pulled it for now because these projects were done in Premiere only.

We've got two projects on different hard drives that are having pretty much the same problem: when we try to render the whole project, or even add clips to the shorter of the two projects, we get the "disk full" error message. We tried trimming the files on one, moving to 60 gig drives, splitting up the sample files from the rest of the project (onto two drives).

Other things we've tried, based on tips from Adobe, Pinnacle, and other sites:

-making sure audio compression is set at uncompressed
-making sure our sound card and other drivers are current
-using Virtual Dub
-checking out the video CODEC, making sure there was no cropping in the export setting

I've probably left out something; we've tried so many different things!

Yes, the files are large because we captured over three hours worth, then edited the one project to 1 1/2 hours, but when we get the error message on that one and check it out, we've still got over 11gigs free on the hard drive.

One Premiere guy went so far as to say they need to fix the program because it gives out the "disk full" error message when it doesn't know what else to say, but that's as far as he went. We're getting a little frustrated over here--anyone got some advice we can use?? Do I need to buy an 80 or 120 gig hdd?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite