Serious Magic DVRack - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #331
Major Player

First, decide how long you want the timelapsed version of the event to last. e.g., for a 5 hour task, if you want to see the whole thing unfold in 1 minute, you'd want to record at 1/(5 * 60) normal speed = 1/300 of normal speed. Since normal speed is 24fps in your case, you'd want to record one frame every (300 / 24) = 12.5 seconds.....
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #332
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McDougal
Thanks for your quick reply

I answered my own question when looking around more.

I can shot one clip and then utlize the In/Out points of the software.
What I typically do is shot a scene, then in Post Premiere, i would do an auto scene detect to seperate the clips so I can log them. I rather work with small clips of each scene vs. 1 master clip which i must scrub though.
You definitely need to rekey each scene. There are usually enough subtle differences between lighting or whatever and ultra requires you to grab certain parts of the green screen so they can be sampled for the best key possible. So each shot needs to be processed separately.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:51 PM   #333
Regular Crew

DVRack HD QT files not compatible with FCP 5

I recorded a series of interviews on DVRack HD using the HVX200 set at 720p/30p. I set the DVRack to record QT files.

The clips played back fine on my PC. I hooked the drive up to my Mac and tried to import the files into FCP 5. I immediately got an error message that said the media files are not optimized for FCP. The message recommended recapturing the media or using media manager to create new files to improve their performance.

I placed a clip on the timeline anyway and rendered it. Initially the audio played with the clip and then completely dropped out after 10 seconds or so. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Paul
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #334
Regular Crew

recording on bus powered external drive, 5400rpm?

Hi, would I encounter any problems recording to one of those USB cable powered mini hard drives? You can get them up to 160gb these days at reasonable cost, but the only thing is they are only 5400 rpm.

I'm thinking of getting these for portable field recording using HDV Rack 2.0 without having to resort to a larger, AC powered hard drive.

Also, does anyone know how much these reduce notebook battery life approximately?

Thanks for any info.
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #335
Regular Crew

Well, have found 7200rpm versions of these now. But I guess the issues would be heat dissipation, reliability, susceptibility to jarring transport/handling, etc.

Still, would rather go 5400 rpm for greater storage capacity currently. I don't think there would be any problem capturing hd with these, but still would like confirmation though anyway.
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #336
New Boot

no sd capture problem

Hi folks I have used dell inspiron 1300 and dv rack with 80 gig hard drive to decord SD using a XL 1s. I used mains power....but I had tested it previously and found it to work for about 2 hours before depletion (how old is your battrey). I also have a spare laptop battery just in case mains electricity is not available. Peace Les.
Les Mularky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #337
New Boot

Of course, the HD100 is a small portable hard drive - and DV rack is a laptop based program.

I have DV rack 2.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8160 running perfectly fine - I don't use it to record, but I do use it to monitor the HD during studio/interview shoots.

My only want would be a 1394 splitter - so that I could run the FS4ProHD (which is what I have) AND monitor HD through DV rack simultaneously. Now that would be nice - sadly all I can do is monitor the HD down composite on an SD monitor (hd monitor too expensive at this time). I know, I could have forgone the laptop and invested in a monitor - but I really need the laptop to be Avid friendly as it was needed for field review of material on location in India.
Patrick Synnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #338
Regular Crew

Hi, sorry, but is there anyone who has experience using these portable bus powered hard drives at 5400 rpm for recording high-def material using DV Rack?

Thanks again.
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #339
Major Player

Help with DV Rack

I was thinking of getting DV rack for my new laptop, but When I installed the trial I can't get an image from the A1. I'm not even sure windows recognizes the A1. The only thing that appears in the hardware profile is AV/C Tape Device.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #340
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts
I was thinking of getting DV rack for my new laptop, but When I installed the trial I can't get an image from the A1. I'm not even sure windows recognizes the A1. The only thing that appears in the hardware profile is AV/C Tape Device.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
are demoing the HDV version ??

(if you're running the SD version, DV Rack will only work if the XHA1 is running in SD mode)
Barry Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #341
Major Player

There are two different trial versions? I tried putting it into SD mode and still couldn't bring up an image. The funny thing is I can capture HDV in vegas. So the camera is talking to the computer.

I went to the page and signed up for DV Rack HD 2 trial and I get sent a link for DV Rack SD 2.0 (DVRack20SD_1571.exe). I've done it twice now. There are no other options to download different trial versions. The e-mail even states it's a link to DV Rack HD 2. What is going on here? This is massively frustrating, since I'm considering paying $500 dollars for this bit of software.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #342
Major Player

Trial version of DV Rack HD?

Does a trial version of DV Rack HD exist? If it does I can't find it.
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #343
Major Player

Ugh... nevermind. Just hooked up a DV camcorder to the laptop and theres a 1/2 second delay. I can only imagine what kind of delay is in store with HDV.
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #344
Regular Crew

What are your laptop specs?
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #345
Major Player

Ultra 2 out with Premiere Pro 3?

Anybody have a lead on whether Adobe will offer a "downgraded" version of Ultra 2 with the new PP3? I'm sure they wouldn't offer the "full version"....

Rumors anyone? (I confess, I'm hoping to save some $$ with the next upgrade...)
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite