Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old June 7th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #286
Major Player

Pic in Pic

Anyone know if in Adobe Premiere 6.5 you can do a Pic in Pic or mix two video sources together to appear together on the screen? I have seen it done briefly at a Video Fair, but it was on Pinnacle Edition I believe. So is there a way to do it on Premiere 6.5??

Thanks!
Old June 7th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #287
Major Player

Also once you mix these footage together can you re-size one smaller and have the other one full screen or use up the rest of the space. Kind of like the split screen stuff of 24, or like sports converage, etc.
Old June 7th, 2003, 05:46 PM   #288
Capt. Quirk

Cristopher- Depending on the complexity of what you are trying to achieve, it can be real simple. I would lay the clip that you want to be full screen in track 2. The clip to be displayed as a PIP goes in track 1. In the clips properties, select motion setup. This will allow you to resize and position it however you want, showing track 2 as a background behind it. It will take some playing to get it the way you want, but not too awful. Of course, there are other ways to do it, this is just the method I use most.
Old June 7th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #289
Air China Pilot

By the way, what you want to attempt is monkey work using Adobe After Effects. It's too easy.
Old June 8th, 2003, 07:28 AM   #290
Regular Crew

Problem Solved. I switched to the MainConcept Codec and MPEG Encoder. This thing is unreal. It save the file that took the Adobe encoder 22 hours in 31 minutes. The audio is in sync and the resulting picture on the burned DVD is incredible.

I would recommend this combination to anyone based on my results.
Old June 8th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #291
Regular Crew

Do you mean that you switched to the DV-codec form mainconcept? Is it an improvement?

Does the standalone version render better MPeg as the pugin version?

Jan
Old June 8th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #292
Major Player

Thanks for your help Keiths!!!!

Yeah I wish I had After Effects, but alas money a bit tight at moment. I'll give it a try using motion set-up. Last time I tried something with that it seemed to just crop the image...but probably did something wrong.
Old June 8th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #293
Regular Crew

PIP

You can definitely use the motion filter, but an easier way would be to just drop a square wipe transition between the clips and use the position dot in the settings screen to place frame where you want it. Just make sure both values are the same so it doesn't jump.
Old June 8th, 2003, 12:05 PM   #294
Wrangler

I find the easiest way to do Pic in Pic with Premiere is to use the Transform Filter in the video folder Distort. This way you can scale down as much or as little as you want. You also have more control over where you want the 'picture' to be placed - because you use the monitor window in premiere to place where you want it to appear.

If however you want it to appear from left to right I would use the motion control.

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old June 8th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #295
Regular Crew

Hey Jan,

I updated to the MC DV codec and I got the standalone MPEG encoder. As far as I could see the quality is better and the speed that it performs is amazing.
Old June 8th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #296
New Boot

Thanks for all the replies. I actually did re install the program, but it had no effect at all. I then went and checked if my other adobe products were functioning. For some reason after I opened photoshop and acrobat, premiere started working again. Strange.....
Old June 8th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #297
New Boot

Exporting to Quicktime using Premiere

I've been playing around with exporting into Quicktime and have gotten some beautiful finished products. Unfortunately, the filesize is gargantuan. When I start to toy with the settings to bring it down to a manageable - i.e. downloadable - size, the quality drops far below where I need it.

Now, I've seen many a Quicktime movies, all of which are at a better length:size ratio than I can get... any thoughts on export settings? Or perhaps some third party programs that would help?

As usual, any help is loved...
Shane
Old June 8th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #298
Regular Crew

In that case I will gonna try this do!
Thanks.

Jan
Old June 8th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #299
Air China Pilot

Use Sorenson codec for QuickTime. That's what the Apple/trailers use. Also, check out Cleaner. It comes as a plugin for Premiere or as a stand alone product. Cleaner helps optimize better than fiddling with it in Premiere.
Old June 8th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #300
Air China Pilot

They may share the same .dlls and other system resources. Perhaps when you restarted using the other products those .dlls were somehow 'refreshed'?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite