DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/3541-adobe-premiere-discussions-2003-a.html)

David Hurdon December 8th, 2003 08:58 AM

You might start with www.wrigleyvideo.com where Kurt has a great assortment of "how-to" pieces in both demo and tutorial format.

David Hurdon

Adrian Douglas December 8th, 2003 09:19 AM

Hey Shane this could be a useful place to start. After that the tutorial on the Premiere CD also helps.

If you have any specific questions, especially related to the DV500, post them and I'll help you if I can as I've spent the last 3 years working both with and against the DV500/Prem 5.1/6.0

Nice to see some more Australians showing up, gotta keep bringing it to these Americans.

Ed Smith December 8th, 2003 02:16 PM

I have started writing down various ways of how to create certain effect in premiere.

Like Adrian I too have used and still have DV500 and Premiere 6.5.

Start here; tell us what you would like to know, and we will try and be as helpful as we can.

Cheers,

Ed

Shane Kinloch December 8th, 2003 03:02 PM

Great, thanks guys.

I'm going to be on a tight time-frame for my first film so I didn't want to have to edit it in a "trial-and-error" fashion. I have a good grasp of the concepts, I am just unfamiliar with the software. Hopefully your tutorials will allow me to maximise the time I have available and make my film the best it can possible be.

EDIT: Adrian, thanks heaps for that Adobe link. That pdf file really is a fantastic reference. It's exactly what I wanted and yeah, you can never have too many Aussies...

Tim Frank December 8th, 2003 07:08 PM

Video Pop-Up Graphics on Premiere

Have you seen those music videos when a little cloud or bubble pops up on the screen and gives a tidbit about the video or something.

Well I was editing some home movies with Premiere Pro and I was wondering what would be the best way to add something like that in aside from doing a stadard title. I was just wondering if there was a plug-in or another program that does this kind of stuff with a few more creative options than Premiere has.

Any ideas or input is greatly appreciated.

Tim

Robert Mann Z. December 8th, 2003 07:21 PM

i actually did one of those for an educational film, i used nothing more then photoshop for the titles and that pop sound...

you could animate them but that would be tedious in premiere

Tim Frank December 8th, 2003 09:02 PM

Blah! I'm such a photoshop noob! I've tried but it just doesn't seem to click for me. Mabe I'll just stick to the titles in Premiere.

Tim Frank December 8th, 2003 09:12 PM

Cinemotion/Magic Bullet for Premiere

I'm looking for a demo or maybe some cheap freeware that works like cinemotion or Magic Bullet. So Far all I've found is programs that work in After Effects but I don't have this, I only have Premiere Pro to work with right now. Let me know if you guys know anything!

Thx

Tim

Glenn Chan December 9th, 2003 01:57 PM

Film motion: Duplicate the movie onto itself, de-interlace the superimposed movie, and set opacity between 30% and 70% depending on how strong you want the effect to be.

You should shoot at the slowest normal shutter speed if you are going to do this.

You get pretty close to actually shooting 24progressive or using Magic Bullet or DV Film Maker.

White balance: You can mess around with the white balance to get that effect of film. Film balanced for outdoors will give the wrong white balance indoors. Flesh tones will look yellow.

Color curves: Film tends to have "shoulders" for highlights and shadows. You can approximate the look by making a "s" curve in a curves filter. Compress highlights and shadows.

Color correction: Change colors according to your taste. Hollywood films go through a color correction process to make it look better.

Soft focus: You can add soft focus by using a soft focus filter or by superimposing your video onto itself, adding blur (gaussian blur for example), and setting the opacity to around half. Soft focus is not the same as out of focus.

Deficiencies of film:
hair
film grain
"projection" look - judder/jumpy film that changes in brightness (I'm not very good at describing this today)

Glenn Chan December 9th, 2003 01:58 PM

There's a lot wirtten about this subject. You should search the net with Google.com and see what you come up with. Maybe someone here can recommend some good resources.

Tim Frank December 9th, 2003 08:25 PM

WEll I was really looking for a free plug-in or for somebody to tell me if it is possible to use the AE plug-in in Premiere. I copied it over but got an error upon trying to open premiere after that.

Fred Haber December 10th, 2003 04:17 AM

Sorry for the long waity tyo reply, I just got back on line. I want to thank Jack Robertson and David Hurdon for ther reply to my questions.

Fred Haber

Ed Fiebke December 11th, 2003 03:24 AM

Hello from Columbiaville!

Fred Haber -

I see by your profile that you're from Old Chatham, NY, Just want to say "Hi" from Columbiaville, NY! Small world! :)

I know a Floyd Haber. Any relation to you?

Cheers! :)

Ted

Fred Haber December 11th, 2003 03:20 PM

No relation Ed, but I think my wife had you as a student in school.
Nice to hear from you.

Mark Jefferson December 12th, 2003 10:05 AM

You can use Cinemotion and Cinelook with Primiere 6.5 Just put the plug-ins in the to appropriate plugins directory. On a side note, you CANNOT use the presets that come with Cinelook, which knid of sucks becasue there are a ton of settings you need to adjust.

I actually use a form of "Instant Sex" which is described by Clenn Chan above. I works very well and the render times aren't quite as bad as with Cinelook.

If your camera supports it, shoot in "Frame Mode" and you won't need to deinterlace.

Cheers,
Mark Jefferson