DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/3541-adobe-premiere-discussions-2003-a.html)

Khenu Singh November 3rd, 2003 02:16 AM

help with premiere editing

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this, so please pardon my ignorance. I have some footage (shot on a DVX-100) from a South Asian Multimedia night I organized a few months back - I'm using this as material for my first premiere project (I basically am trying to make a memento for everyone involved). I'm capturing using (and hoping to edit with) premiere 6.0 Pro and want to add effects with AE 5.0 Pro (I'm using Cinelook Film Damage to simulate more of an old, damaged film look) and also stylish titles (I'm using Shine to tweak out my titles) for each of the artists. I will also be scanning in some flier art and then zooming and panning using AE for the beginning segment. Anyway, I'm hoping to get some feedback on the sequence I should be using. As of now, I'm taking the captured AVI, opening it in After Effects, applying the effects, and then rendering a quicktime movie using the sorenson 3 codec. I was hoping to string these together using premiere and then render a final movie of around 30 minutes on my PC based system (P3 1.3 GHZ, 640 MB RAM) to burn onto DVD...

One, I don't know if there is a more efficient codec I should be using - I want this to be as nice looking as I can (this is practice for a documentary I would like to produce and potentially show at film festivals). Two, the files are really large, right now I'm taking a 5 minute AVI file which is 1.3 GB and trying to encode it. Beyond the fact that it is taking 7 hours, I think the file is going to be around 3 GB. That's so large that I don't think I'm going to be able to preview it in a fluid enough manner to be able to edit it smoothly. I don't know if I can tweak my settings in a way that files of this size can be previewed in realtime, without stuttering? Should I be breaking it down into smaller segments, or using a completely different approach or sequence altogether?

Great, thanks for any words of wisdom!

khenu

Chris Yi November 6th, 2003 04:37 AM

Audio "pop" when exporting

I just finished a tiny Premiere Pro project (30 sec. long) recently, but I'm having problems exporting it. When I export the movie to my computer, the exported file always has little "pops" that show up in the audio. At first I thought this was due to too high of a gain value, but then I noticed that there were no audio problems at all when the project just played in the Premiere Pro timeline. I even tried exporting the project to my DV camera, and the audio was just fine. I only seem to get this problem when exporting a file straight to my computer...does anyone know why? And is there anything I can do about it? I would like to encode my clips so I can put them online, but this audio problem is getting in the way. Thanks for your help.

Kylie Wilson November 6th, 2003 08:11 PM

Premiere 6.5 exporting question

Hello all I have been trying to export my footage from Premiere 6.5 so I can burn onto DVD. It seems I'm doing something wrong, I have burnt one before and it worked perfectly.

These are my steps....
Export Timeline - Adobe MPEG Encoder - Advanced ticked, PAL ticked, MPEG2, 720x576, Frame rate 25.000, ratio 4.3. I use a Canon MV530i, it looks perfect when I capture the film on computer until I encode it.

The film seems grainy I can see tiny lines through it when something moves, it seems a little fast as well.

Can I manage to export a better copy? Thanks for your time in advance

Kylie

Jed Williamson November 7th, 2003 03:31 PM

Premiere Pro full screen option?

Is it possible to view a clip full screen in premiere pro without an external monitor.

I initially started learning NLE on windows movie maker in which you just hit Alt+Enter to view full screen.

But now that I've got Premiere Pro I can't seem to find a way to do this. I've looked thru the help system alot but can't find anything. Please help.

Thank you.

David Hurdon November 7th, 2003 09:28 PM

All quality encoders offer presets and the opportunity to tweak them. I use the Main Concept encoder in 6.5 (version 1.3b) and edit the presets to my specifications, which include variable bit rate at 6000-4000-1500. You may have to set the max higher in action footage, fast pans and the like. "Home-made" DVD will not match your Hollywood rentals because you don't have big dollars to throw at expert hands-on compression, not to mention the production values that go into the source material and the extruded disks made from a glass master rather than a laser burn. I sometimes wonder why we want to leave VHS behind. Compared to making DVDs nothing could be simpler, cheaper or more reliable. If most of us were making media with multiple language tracks, sub-titles, director's commentary and so on we'd at least be getting something for the extra work and expense, but two years into it I'm thinking it's a ton of hassle for a play button on a pretty background. Not that I'm going to stop...

David Hurdon

Ed Smith November 8th, 2003 02:53 PM

Hi Chris,

Audio pop is quite common in NLE applications, however some handle it better than others. In some situations you will not hear it as much. It also depends on the microphone you recorded with, the sample rate of your audio, and the speakers you are listening through.

This sort of thing can also be heard when cutting from one camera to the next which has loud/ quiet "noise", causing a 1 frame pop on the cut.

Could you post the problem clip on-line?
Can you describe where it happens in your 30 sec video?

Also try this: Import the adobe test tone, and see whether it happens with that, also try cutting a chunk from the audio and then put the two sections together, export. Do you get the same thing?

Let us know how you get on,

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Smith November 8th, 2003 03:06 PM

Khenu,

I am a little bit confused. Are you using Premiere 6 or Premiere Pro (V7)?

The sorenson QT codec is the best around for quick time. However you might want to export that movie from AE as an uncompressed AVI file or a DV-compresed AVI, Premiere might be able to handle it better on a PC platform.

5 minutes should not take 7 hours to convert into an Mpeg file, and should only be a couple of 100MB if that. Can you please advise what settings and codec you are using for this?

Your computer should be able to handle Mpeg conversion etc if it is maintained correctly.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Smith November 8th, 2003 03:14 PM

The thing is viewing a full screen video clip on your computer monitor, is not good for a number of reasons:

1: video clip resolution is 720x576 (720x480 - NTSC). therefore viewing it at a resolution that is higher than this will distort the image - i.e. not look as good.

2: viewing at such a high resolution, takes up more resources on the computer which it might need to perform edits and complex effects.

I do not know if Pro is able to do this since I don't own it (yet). generally speaking this could be the answer why.

All the best,

Ed

Ryan Krga November 8th, 2003 09:28 PM

There is no full screen option. You can export the project to Microsoft DV, play it Windows Media Player, then make it full screen, but you cannot do this within PP.

Khenu Singh November 8th, 2003 11:40 PM

Ed,

Thanks for a reply. I am capturing using premiere 6.0, I was mistaken, it is not "pro." I am importing that AVI into AE 5.0, which is the "production" version. I add the cinelook filmdamage and titles and then I export a quicktime file using the sorenson 3 video codec. I am exporting at 720 x 480 resolution, using millions of colors (best), 44.1 KHz 16 bit stereo sound. Using these settings a 6 minute video capture turns from a 260 MB AVI into a 2.6 GB quicktime file? I'm so new at this, so I don't know if there is other information that would be helpful? Ultimately I want to string these quicktime files together in Premiere and add transitions there... Great, thanks so much for any thoughts on any of this - the codecs, the workflow, etc!

Khenu

Chris Yi November 9th, 2003 03:31 AM

Thanks so much for your reply! I had almost given up all hope...

Well, I decided that the best way to describe this problem would be to actually let you see (hear?) it for yourself. I encoded the video from Premiere Pro as Microsoft DV AVI. Then I encoded the file (using Windows Media Encoder) into a streaming Windows Media 9 file. Here it is:

http://static.zed.cbc.ca/users/c/Cyi...ident_Ad-1.wmv

You can hear a "pop" right when Barenson (fake name) says "ALL my life..." and a few seconds later when he says "...the AVERAGE voter...". These pops are not audible when played in the Premiere Pro timeline or when exported to tape.

Any information you can offer on WHY those pops are showing up would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help. Oh, and please don't judge the video too harshly, lol.

Ed Smith November 9th, 2003 05:35 AM

hi Khenu,

Is there a reason for using quicktime when you export from AE?

If editing on a PC you should stay with native DV i.e. an AVI format that uses a DV codec. This should be found in the export settings under codec. This also means that you are keeping with 1 format during the post production process.

Using AVI should also speed up the process in premiere when creating an MPEG file for DVD.

To recap:

1 Import your captured AVI file into AE
2 Create your effects etc in AE
3 Export the clip back out as an AVI file using a DV codec
4 Import the files into Premiere
5 Add transitions etc
6 Export as MPEG for DVD

This should also mean that when you edit in Premiere, you will get more real-time capabilities.

You might also want to upgrade premiere to v 6.02 or 6.5

I hope this helps,

Ed

Ed Smith November 9th, 2003 05:51 AM

hi Chris,

Thanks for posting the clip, it was good, it kept me entertained for 30 secs.

I too also heard the pop in the same places you say. but cannot pin point down.

Could you try to Import the adobe test tone, and see whether it happens with that, also try cutting a chunk from the audio and then put the two sections together, export. Do you get the same results?

Here is a useful link that could explain why you hear audio pop.

http://www.mindspring.com/~cityzoo/m...ng/noise4.html

Thanks, let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Ed

Ed Smith November 9th, 2003 05:57 AM

Kylie,

Where were you viewing the DVD you created. On your PC or set top DVD player?

I have seen something similar to the speeding up thing. This was pinpointed to a slow PC and the software DVD player they were using. When played in a settop player it all was OK.

Hope this might help,

Ed

Corey Sturmer November 9th, 2003 01:44 PM

Premier pro.....Premier, slow?

I just got Premier Pro today and was very excited when it finally arrived. I was even more excited when I opened it and saw lots of new stuff to learn! But when I started playing with it, it became not so exciting when I found frames skipping, real-time rendering slowing down, and it just not performing like 6.5....

You might be thinking, wellll, what are you running? I'm not running the fastest setup right now, but it is FAR beyond what premier 6.5 required.

2.4 ghz P4
1 gig of DDR ram
240 gigs of 72,000 RPM storage space
dual 300 mhz Nvidia card, 64 mb

Don't tell me I need to upgrade, this should be sufficient, yeah?!

P.S. I did try to change the quality settings on the RT rendering, and I tried Draft and Auto and it still didn't speed things up...The only other thing I can think of is that I imported a Premier 6.5 project into Premier Pro and had it converted....But, would that do it? I'll try some stuff then come back, but answers appreciated as always.