DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/3541-adobe-premiere-discussions-2003-a.html)

Charlie Wu September 23rd, 2003 08:33 PM

long clip cut small

how can i chop up a long clip, in premiere, and then save it as different avi files??

Charlie Wu September 24th, 2003 01:16 AM

i know it seems kind of werid to answer my own question. but just in case anybody wants to know the answer to my question, here it is (i found it in a premiere book)

in order to cut the long clip short and save it into individual files, you will need to create virtual files and then export the timeline.

you can't simply export a cut clip, because with that function you can only export the video or the audio alone. i believe that it is actually fixable in the future, because, accroding to the book, people from adobe say that there's a flaw in design and they will one day fix that problem.

it takes time to render, but i guess it's the only way..

David Hurdon September 24th, 2003 03:59 AM

Charlie, it's my experience that you can export any segment of the timeline as a new clip, video and audio, using the work area bar and the export timeline-movie function. If you just want the cut clips in the current project you can give them an alias and drag them back from the timeline to the project window, where they will remain available under their new names - but only within the project.

David Hurdon

Owen Brazas September 25th, 2003 08:37 AM

Premiere 6.5 problem

I am editing a short film in Premiere 6.5 that I shot on a Canon XL1S and all the footage is from the same camera and everything is at 16:9. Now when I export out a file in a filmstrip file to go into photoshop everything is fine. After I am done in Photoshop I import in the file as an avi but now when I put the file back into the timeline the ratio is off. It comes out looking squished or sometimes I am missing the sides. I have looked at advanced options > pixel ratio and thats set, then I make sure its maintaining ratio and that is set too. I can not figure out what I am doing wrong. Any help?

Sasha Froyland September 28th, 2003 12:26 PM

A.Premier-'Rolling Title Flicker' question

Hello and thanks in advance.

In Adobe Premier 6.5, everythink is working fine in my first ever AP project, except the credits at the end of the Timeline.

Video Track 1a: Rolling Title - the credits - Opacity = 100%.
Video Track 1b: Black Video

Playback inside AP and the Export Timeline to .avi plays back just fine on the PC, but when I author to dvd and then play the dvd on a TV, the rolling credits - the part without and works or the sides - appears to flicker. All the other titles in the .avi file display just fine, but they are displayed on top of normal video - video with moving characters in it.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Sasha

Brian Huey September 29th, 2003 01:51 AM

I believe the flickering is caused by the TV displaying the video interlaced. I've had this problem as well and you see it everynow and then on the rolling credits at the end of movies.

Try increasing the font size/fonts: the small lines in characters tend to flicker the worst

Try adding/subtracting lines at the end to change the speed at which the title scrolls at: some speeds flicker much worse then others.

Good luck, that was the one of the worst parts I had to do in a video I put together, especially since it took forever to render a couple minutes of rolling titles on video!

Cheers,
Huey

Jay Nemeth September 29th, 2003 02:24 AM

Professional audio controls for premiere?

Does anybody make a device that has linear pots/sliders that interfaces with Premiere to control the mix? Something that looks like a 12 channel mackie but instead of taking analog audio in and out, it would have some sort of serial or USB interface to control the individual channel gains.

When a movie is remixed, all the original stems go through a board so that the levels can be adjusted on the fly while listening. The position of the faders is recorded and the sound is adjusted appropriately and repeatably.

This whole painful process of 1. deciding a sound is too low or too high on playback, 2. stopping the playback, 3. selecting the track, 4. guessing what percentage of gain should be added / subtracted or 5. moving a tiny rubberband, 6. backup on the timeline, and then 7. play again only to find your "guess" was close but needs to be redone, is nuts.

Really, this process is archaic and there must be a solution in real time. I understand Premeire Pro has sliders on the monitor that can be moved with the mouse, I still want multiple channels on a control panel in real time.

Somebody came up with a jog/shuttle knob that works well, this can't be that hard. Hopefully I'm ranting for no reason and someone will tell me where to get the "Premiere Sound Master 9000" or equivelant.

Jay

Charles King September 29th, 2003 03:42 AM

So, does anyone know if you can get the presets without purchasing pro?

Glenn Chan September 29th, 2003 04:44 PM

The best scroll speed in when the rolling credit moves exactly 1 pixel every frame. Some titlers/NLEs don't allow this unfortunately.

You will get better results using a TV-friendly font (no thin lines and easy to read), the right scroll speed, and a titler that will do aliasing/anti-aliasing on the text. You can try adding some grey stuff around the text so it doesn't flicker as much (outer/inner glow, drop shadow, etc.) since the contrast of the edge is reduced.

Glenn Chan September 29th, 2003 05:07 PM

If Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition can comes with Premiere Pro) doesn't do it then Pro Tools will.

Nick Glenister September 30th, 2003 01:55 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Charlie Wu : i know it seems kind of werid to answer my own question. but just in case anybody wants to know the answer to my question, here it is (i found it in a premiere book)

in order to cut the long clip short and save it into individual files, you will need to create virtual files and then export the timeline.

-->>>

Hi Charlie,

this could be of great help to me, is it easy to create virtual files? Could you explain how to do it or is it quite complicated?

Thanks

Nick

Ed Smith September 30th, 2003 06:15 AM

I'm not charlie, but heres how to do it.

Locate the Block Select Tool - Found by keeping the left mouse button held on the selection tool (second one in from the top of the tool box), then select the too (second one in)

Mark your selection by clicking at your in point and dragging to the out point - ripples should appear at in and out point.

Let go, and move mouse over the selection you just made - The cursor should change to an icon which has 2 arrows coming out of 2 boxes.

Click and drag selection to a spare place on the timeline.

Your virtual clip is now created.

All the best,

Ed

Eric MacIver September 30th, 2003 11:00 AM

XL1s Frame/Movie Mode & Premiere Pro

After doing hours of reading dissenting opinions online, I have created the following assumption. Can anyone confirm or correct this assumption for me?

If I shoot a film in Frame/Movie mode on my Canon XL1s, it will take (using a non-true progressive means) 30 full frames per second of pictures, however, it stores those on TAPE as 29.97 frames per second of interlaced pictures.

It does this by taking the 30 full frames in a semi-progressive mode, then on-camera stores them as 29.97i.

So, for best results and correct time-coding, when I capture and edit in Premiere Pro, I should setup my workspace as DV, 29.97, .9 pixel aspect ratio.

Is that correct?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Eric MacIver September 30th, 2003 11:06 AM

Adobe Media Encoder Squeezes and Stretches

I am trying to output my final product for two mediums - DV, for playback on an NTSC television, and streaming video for the internet.

I have edited the project in a workspace for .9 pixel aspect ratio, 720x480 size.

Now, using the normal Export > Movie, I can export the project just fine by using the same pixel size and aspect ratio, and although it looks stretched on my PC, it will look fine when played back on a television.

Similar, I can output the AVI and CHANGE the pixel size to 648x480 and pixel aspect ratio to "square/1.0". That makes the film look correct on my PC.

However, when I try the Adobe Media Encoder, different formats create different problems. For instance, RealMedia adds black bars to the sides and squeezes it vertically and Windows Media creates bars on the top and bottom and squeezes it horizonitally.

Neither has the option for setting up the pixel aspect ration, and Windows Media doesn't even have the option to set the output pixel size.

Is my best bet to output a full-size AVI, then import that into Premiere and output that using Media Encoder?

Does anyone have any other advice/tips/tricks?

Thank you!

Nathan Gifford September 30th, 2003 11:32 AM

I'm not sure about pixel aspect ratio, but all NTSC is 29.97.