How to decrease export time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to decrease export time

This is more of a general computer question, but I use Premiere CS3.

What pieces of hardware result in fast export times? This is a general problem I'm having, which I am more than willing to spend some money on to remedy. For after effects, I know more RAM is supposed to help, but specifically what goes into the export process and what are the best ways of increasing the speed?
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Major Player

You can get a Matrox card for faster-than-realtime MPEG2 exports, there are also expensive video cards like the Quadro FX that will improve H.264 export times. Overclocking will give you the best bang-for-your buck on most CPU intensive exports (so long as you don't fry your computer in the process). RAM upgrade probably won't give you much of a boost, but could help with stability issues, or if multiple programs are running (CS3/AfterEffects, etc).

Be more specific in your requirements and you'll get more tailored suggestions.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Skip Matrox, their RTX2 is more trouble than it's worth.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natan Pakman View Post
This is more of a general computer question, but I use Premiere CS3.

What pieces of hardware result in fast export times? This is a general problem I'm having, which I am more than willing to spend some money on to remedy. For after effects, I know more RAM is supposed to help, but specifically what goes into the export process and what are the best ways of increasing the speed?
In sequence of importance:

1. CPU
2. CPU
3. RAM
4. Disk setup
5. GPU if at all.

Matrox generally is a show stopper.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
In sequence of importance:

1. CPU
2. CPU
3. RAM
4. Disk setup
5. GPU if at all.

Matrox generally is a show stopper.
RAM impacts the export time more than the Disk setup?

I just spoke with a computer scientist who claimed that the most important element would be the disk setup, namely the write speed of the hard drive and whether there is a RAID config, etc.

Does Premiere use RAM at all for exporting?

How does the CPU affect exporting?
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Trustee

Encoding to any format is CPU intensive. A lot of calculations going on, getting data from memory, applying the encoding algorithm, writing the results back to memory and then from memory in big chunks write back to disk.

A simple test to discern where your system may have bottlenecks:

If CPU usage during encoding is over 90%, that is where the bottleneck lies, if it is around 60% or below, then your disk setup is where the bottleneck is. Anywhere in between, both the CPU and disk setup could be improved.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just checked CPU usage during an export to H.264 and it was consistently above 90%. It actually was frequently at 98-100%. Not good. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E4500. I'll have to look into this.
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #8
Major Player

What do you mean, not good. CPUs are there to be utilized :) 100 percent CPU utilization during rendering is ideal, anything less would indicate a problem.

When exporting, CPU is critical, RAM and drives not so much. RAM and disk speeds are important when actually editing, not so much at export time (RAM and drives are easily able to deliver necessary data way faster than CPU computes them).
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala View Post
What do you mean, not good. CPUs are there to be utilized :) 100 percent CPU utilization during rendering is ideal, anything less would indicate a problem.

When exporting, CPU is critical, RAM and drives not so much. RAM and disk speeds are important when actually editing, not so much at export time (RAM and drives are easily able to deliver necessary data way faster than CPU computes them).

Jiri, my export times are too long. That is my main problem. If what Harm said is accurate, then if the CPU usage during export is above 90% (and in my case close to 100%), then a more powerful CPU should increase export speed. You also said that CPU is critical, so while getting a close-to-100% CPU usage during export may indicate that the CPU is working to its full potential, since I am not happy with the resulting speed, I assume that that is where my problem is.
Old September 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natan Pakman View Post

Jiri, my export times are too long. That is my main problem. If what Harm said is accurate, then if the CPU usage during export is above 90% (and in my case close to 100%), then a more powerful CPU should DEcrease export speed. You also said that CPU is critical, so while getting a close-to-100% CPU usage during export may indicate that the CPU is working to its full potential, since I am not happy with the resulting speed, I assume that that is where my problem is.
Keep in mind that H.264 is the most taxing format to export to. If you use that a lot, it may be time to look at the ridiculously expensive nVidia Quadro CX card ($ 1700) which is supposed to help that encoding process significantly.

Do the same check when encoding to MPEG2. It you CPU usage still hovers around the same figures, your disk setup is not a bottleneck, but you would profit from a faster CPU.

A lot of people use AVCHD nowadays but find that their PC is not up to this daunting task. Material like that would require as a bare minimum (IMO) an i7 overclocked to 3.6 GHz, but better a dual Xeon W5580/5590.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite