couple more annoying newbie questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #16
Regular Crew

i got the new hardware detected message when i first inserted the firewire port into the computer, but haven't gotten it since. the camera was not connected to the other end at that point however.

the message i get in movie maker is 'video capture device was not detected'.

i tried messing w/ the software that came w/ my firewire port (belkin) and i installed ulead video studio. (the other options that popped up when i inserted the disc were install photo express, install video studio 5.0, install cool 360 and firenet demo.) when i tried to capture in ulead, it said that there were no capture drivers installed, or something to that effect. i've also gotten a message about there not being able to find a dv driver.

i've tried rebooting w/ the camera on several times, and it still doesn't pick it up. and there's no 'new hardware' message.
Adam Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #17
Regular Crew

the only thing i can think of that i did between the time that it did work and the time that it didn't work was disconnect the camera from the firewire, plug in a usb connection and hook it up to a different computer.
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #18
Regular Crew

oh, and the computer makes the 'da dun' noise when i plug and unplug the firewire notebook adapter, so it seems to know its there.

and the 'dv in' display shows up on the camera.
Old January 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

i've been doing some reasoning to try and pinpoint the problem. humor me, if you will, and tell me if you think my posturing is accurate.

-the problem doesn't seem to be with premiere. i'm figuring this based on the fact that movie maker and other photo programs don't recognize the camera.

-the problem doesn't seem to be with the firewire card. my cpu acknowledges that it is there, and that it is working. also, when i uninstall it and then plug it back in, there is notice of new hardware.

-the problem doesn't seem to be with the cable's connection to my gl2. when i plug/unplug the cable from the gl2, the 'dv in' message comes up/goes away.

-the problem doesn't seem to be with the cable's connection to the card. when i plug/unplug the cable from the card, the 'dv in' message comes up/goes away.

that leaves (perhaps) the camera as the only thing that could be messed up. perhaps switching back and forth between firewire and usb confused it some how. or maybe i have an incorrect setting somewhere.

i'm not asking for any potential solution to my camera problem here (i'll take that to the gl2 forum), but i would appreciate any opinions on my reasoning...or any other potential problems that i may have missed. thanks.
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #20
Wrangler

I think that your reasoning is OK, however, before I have mentioned that their needs to be an Imaging device appear in device manager, with Canon DV camcorder listed below it. If you do not have this then it means that windows has a problem detecting the camera, rather than a problem with your GL2.

In order to find out if your GL2 is the problem, you might want to try it in a friends/ another computer (if at all possible). If the camera works in another computer then its more than likely that Windows is the problem.

Do you have any other firewire devices connected (HD, DVD writer etc)?
Is the USB connected at the same time as the firewire?

If you do a search in this forum, you'll probably find various other people who have had this sort of problem.

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite