Anyone using Asus P7P55D with CS4? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone using Asus P7P55D with CS4?

I've built a new rig to edit HDV video, and it hasn't been stable enough - with total Windows re-boots or freezing in Premiere, needing the reset switch. I've gone through the gammit of tuning Premiere to its optimum state for stability, and the only improvement that I've found is by playing with turning things off in the latest bios. It's non-overclocked.

My Asus P5B deluxe/Q6600 rig didn't have these problems. (It was WinXP 32 bit)

Rig is i7 860, 4x 2GB Corsair DDR3, 750w power, P7P55D, GTX260 graphics 3x1TB HDD's and Win 7 64bit. Premiere seems the only app to fall over.

Memtest and Prime95 run for hours error free ...

If you're using this board and Premiere can you tell me the other parts if different - or anything else that I could play with?

Christmas greetings of peace and happiness to all.

Billy
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

William I have a similar system to yours and had a similar issue although mostly with the media encoder. In my case there was an improper setting in the bios concerning the frequency and core voltage of the DRAM. You might try booting up the PC and enter the BIOS setup. Once loaded, arrow over to the AI Tweaker menu. Set the DRAM frequency to AUTO if it is not already. I also have a DRAM voltage of 1.9 and the bios only went up to 1.7 and was set even lower than that. I had two choices: change a jumper setting on the mother board or change the voltage setting to auto. I was advised to not change the jumper so I changed the voltage setting to auto, saved changes and exited. Problem solved.

I am not saying my problem was the same as yours, just similar and worth checking out. Although If you are not comfortable playing with the bios settings "just say no."

Good luck...
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The memory voltage is at the setting that Corsair have on the box - 1.65v, which is a little more than the standard 1.5v that many DDR3 memory sticks need.

I'm beginning to think I should have bought more expensive memory.
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Asus advised me to take all but one dimm of memory out and test it - it the ran stable for a couple of hours with just the one dimm.

I put one other stick in for dual memory mode, and it seems stable with that too.

So my answer seems to be not to use 4 dimms of Corsair memory (different revisions) with Adobe Premiere CS4.
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

William the booklet that came with my system advises that if you are going to install more than one DIMM to stay with groups of three.
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The end of this story is that on testing 1 dimm at a time, one of the dimms ran CS4 for under a minute before crashing on each try I gave it, so it has gone back to Ebuyer. QED.

Eugene - socket 1366 uses a set of three dimms, socket 1156 uses sets of two.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite