cs5 books at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 9th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Major Player

cs5 books

I'm looking for recommendations for books on CS5. Not tutorials. Not classes. Books. Because I learn best from reading, and because I like to write notes in margins and use sticky notes so I can return to things again in the future with a minimum of fuss. I know it's not popular, but that's just the way my brain works.

I'm more of an intermediate than a beginner (using CS4 now, upgrading to CS5 shortly), but I'll take what I can find. Part of what I'm looking for is ways to improve my editing workflow. CS5 is huge -- there's plenty there that I don't even know enough to ask about. And that's what I want to change.

About the only book I've found is:

. It seems to get mediocre reviews in the older versions. There's a thousand and one books on Photoshop it seems -- just a couple for Premiere which is arguably an order of magnitude more complex. Please tell me that it's just my poor search skills and hat there's a lot of interesting, useful, and highly rated Premiere books out there. And point me toward them of course. ;-)
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Trustee

The customer base for Photoshop is huge compared to PPro.
There's a much bigger market to sell a PS book into.
I think your research is pretty accurate- it's slim pickins for Premiere books.
There seems to be much more emphasis on video tutorial programs- Lydia.com, Total Training, Adobe T.V., etc.
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
I'm looking for recommendations for books on CS5. Not tutorials. Not classes. Books. Because I learn best from reading, and because I like to write notes in margins and use sticky notes so I can return to things again in the future with a minimum of fuss. I know it's not popular, but that's just the way my brain works.

I'm more of an intermediate than a beginner (using CS4 now, upgrading to CS5 shortly), but I'll take what I can find. Part of what I'm looking for is ways to improve my editing workflow. CS5 is huge -- there's plenty there that I don't even know enough to ask about. And that's what I want to change.

About the only book I've found is: Amazon.com: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 Classroom in a Book (9780321704511): Adobe Creative Team: Books. It seems to get mediocre reviews in the older versions. There's a thousand and one books on Photoshop it seems -- just a couple for Premiere which is arguably an order of magnitude more complex. Please tell me that it's just my poor search skills and hat there's a lot of interesting, useful, and highly rated Premiere books out there. And point me toward them of course. ;-)
I found this one on Amazon:

. I know nothing about it, but it looks interesting in one respect - it covers Premiere Pro, After Effects, Soundbooth and Encore CS5 . Some of the questions I have about CS5 are related to using the combination of these four products... When to use one versus the other, the best way to combine them, etc.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. Yes, I understand the products fill different needs, but there is some cross pollination. For example, you can add an entire Premiere project to Encore instead of just a clip or sequence. That's great. But I suspect that there are all sorts of other little tricks like that which are somewhat hidden. I'd like to know those.
Dan Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite