Magic bullet looks....what else do you need? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 4th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Magic bullet looks....what else do you need?

hi everyone,

I just got a new computer

i7980x - 12gb RAM - GTX 480 with MPE hack applied - P67WS Supercomputer - OCZ ssd 120gb - W7 Pro 64bit - Premiere CS5

and Magic bullet looks is still choppy!!!! I mean......what else does this plugin need to run smoothly?

Sometimes i get good performance if i reduce the playback quality to 1/2 or 1/4 and even so it becomes slugish after a couple of clips
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, Magic Bullet stuff is actually Open GL accelerated, not CUDA....yet, anyway.

I don't really have extensive knowledge of all the nuanced differences between all these cards, but I might start by checking Red Giant's Open GL system requirements and see if the version on your display card jives?

Otherwise, does anyone know if the GTX cards have different Open GL capabilities than Quadros? I know many of the GeForce cards spec out like fire-breathing monsters, but it seems like there might be some "fine print" somewhere...

To be fair, I have a Quadro 4800 and Colorista 2 and it does not seem like it's as fast with Open GL as the CUDA-enabled effects are... but then Colorista and Looks are doing some pretty heavy lifting...
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Major Player

MBL is not a supported plugin.
It will give the red line in the timeline and for realtime playback it needs to be rendered first.
Extra info bottom of the page.
Red Giant Software: Magic Bullet Looks 1.4 - Plugin Compatibility
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Well...yes, it's always given you a red line.

However, when i run it on a system with a serious display card like a Quadro card, it will still often play back and preview.

The thing about the MB stuff is that it needs to access Open GL to accelerate their previews...and if you are running other processss on the timeline that are using CUDA acceleration, you're 'time sharing' the display card, flipping back and forth...

If there ARE a lot of CUDA processes happening on your timeline, I wonder if switching off 'Open GL acceleration' might actually help somewhat? It would be dependent on the system, the footage, the effects present, the display card, etc, etc etc...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite