Books? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 4th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Books?

I'm pretty new to the world of video and I am looking for some books to help get me up and running... I've built a machine for running CS5 and I have a sony HXR-NX5U camera. I've been a pro in the audio world doing high-end recording, post, editing, mixing, etc... and I'm an amateur photographer so I'm not a complete beginner.

Specifically, I'd love some good books on CS5 so I could get my production technique down from editing (including resync of my recorded audio), color correction, through delivery. Ideally, I could use a refresher on formats and the advantages and disadvantages of each...

You know, the basic stuff... I've got a bunch of footage from shows that I've mixed that I'm going to practice with.

Any tips on good books would be appreciated.

--Ben
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks... I had my eye on that, but it has not been released yet.... Anything that's out?

--Ben
Old August 4th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Ben,

Must you use only books or are you open to learning from video tutorials?

For books, I know of some by "Chris Meyer" who is also a teacher for Lynda.com. Another book I know of but have read is Compositing by Ron Brinkman

For video tutorials, I have used and highly recommend:
1) Lynda.com - great for all Adobe software and only $25/month. I used this site to learn the basics on Premiere, AE, Illustrator, Soundbooth and Photoshop.
2) FXPHD.com - great for learning subjects from production (ie lighting, DSLR usage...) to intermediate & advanced editing and compositing. They have a Premeire Pro CS5 intermediate course (taught by Tim Kolb, a frequent member here) this semester along with several great AE courses. I am taking the Premiere course plus a FCP/Red Giant course and a DOP/Lighting course this semester.
3) Videocopilot.net - really only an AE site but great nonetheless. If you like the show 'Fringe', this site's owner, Andrew Kramer, created the opening for the show.

There is also AdobeTV but I haven't used that in a long time.

I didn't go into much detail on the above 3 sites; so, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

One last note: there are many great articles on provideocoalition.com and digitalcontentproducer.com on all aspects of production, post and hardware.

And use the search function here as this site is one of the best learning resources around.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the web references, I'll have to check them out. I appreciate the help.

I have been going all over this site and been very impressed with the general level of signal to noise. Unlike many of the audio forums I frequent, this place seems to be much more about sharing of info- not convincing everybody that you're a deity.

--Ben

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite