CS5 & AVCHD native performance - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM   #16
Trustee

Thank you Harm, I appreciate the detailed info. I only notice MRQ engaged when going from 1080/720 to 480/406p. It didn't engage when increasing size from 480x360 to 640x480.

So far, I have noticed 2 things different with 5.02: Premiere has a problem when opening a project and the screen flashes and goes into non-Aero mode; and exporting H264 seems to be about 20% faster (a video took 90mins on 5.01 and 75mins on 5.02).

Harm, I know that I sound like a jerk sometimes, but you are the only one here that I can challenge when it comes to computer tech - for example, there aren't many here who can recall what C64 and Amiga were, let alone using them.

Also, any chance you can run the BlackMagic-Design disk test and tell me the read/write numbers for your R30? I can email you a serial# for one of my Decklink Extreme 3D cards so you can download thru their website. I ask because I am trying to decide between 6 2TB drives in R5 and 12 1TB drives in R30 for my home workstation in addition to getting another Areca or 3ware as I already have a 3ware in that PC.

Also, it seems that there is some funky stuff going on with my Z800 as you can tell from the PPBM5 disk test. For some reason, synthetic tests show almost 500MB/s read & write for my 6 drive R5 and 1680ix but the PPBM disk test is no where near that fast.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #17
Trustee

Steve,

Mail me the number and I will do the test for you. You have my e-mail address.

BTW, my best memories from the old days were with APL on an IBM 5520, far better than Fortran, RPG or Cobol on a DEC 2060 or IBM 370.

Look here: http://www.sigapl.org/whyapl.htm
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Trustee

Well im not sure which way to go I have 6 gigs of ram I may go up to 12 thats a pretty cheap upgrade. Part of me would love to see what the performance would be if I just went for broke and got a 6 core gulftown with a GTX 460. I dont really do effects not filters anyway I just do single track editing with a mutli-cam time line per wedding. i-7 920 just doesnt seem to be up to the task yet.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:25 PM   #19
Trustee

Randy,

My suggestion would be to hang on a bit. You can easily go for 12 GB and that will give you a nice performance increase, but for the rest I would wait a bit. Around this time next year you will have the option to go for an octo-core Patsburg with DDR4-3500+ memory with 32 GB and SSD's with double the current capacity and a nice performance boost over current models for prices comparable to current prices. Now that will give a real boost and by that time CSNext will be imminent and MPE support will have left the infancy stage behind. There are nice perspectives around the corner IMHO.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM   #20
Trustee

you know I just did a test with the new update and it was better. It seems more memory would help also the cpu maxes on transitions like dissolves. would the MPE help here? Also theres a bug with black magic & the multi-cam feature but I work around that by disabling the BM driver during multi-cam parts.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM   #21
Trustee

I just ran the hack on my GTS-250 Is there a cut off of older slower cards where its not worth it to run in MPE? Where its close to or even slower than just CPU?
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I just ran the hack on my GTS-250 Is there a cut off of older slower cards where its not worth it to run in MPE? Where its close to or even slower than just CPU?
For most CPUs, this cutoff is just below the GT 240. But some of the GPUs as low as the DDR3 version of the GT 220 might be an improvement over software-only mode if the CPU just barely exceeds Adobe's minimum requirements.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:45 PM   #23
Trustee

Cool thanks, I have a i-7 920 and a GTS-250 it looks like the only transition thats accelerated is a dissolve. Which is fine for now because its the one I use the most. Now that I can do the hack a low end fermi card may be in my future.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite