CS5 & AVCHD native performance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Trustee

CS5 & AVCHD native performance

I have been playing around with Premiere CS5 and thinking of editing AVCHD native but when I do I am getting really poor performance. It freezes when I scrub sometimes I need to wait for like 30 seconds before it "wakes up" after scrubbing. Is this normal? I dont have a fermi card but im not using any effects on the clips. Just scrubbing in the time line and maybe a 2 camera multi-cam. I am running a 8 core mac pro (under windows 7 764) with 4 gigs of memory and a i-7 920 with 6 gigs of memory.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It is not normal

I do not know much about Mac but this is not normal. I have PC with I7, GTX285 card and I am able to place 5 layers with PIP and CC on the timeline and it plays smooth as silk. I am sorry I am not much of help to solve your issue. Hope some does.
Khalil Ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Do me a favour

Go to the audio track, and mute the audio...
If the timeline scrubs correctly, i'm afraid you've stumbled upon the same bug i found a week ago...

Let us know.....
It's an easy fix.
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
Go to the audio track, and mute the audio...
If the timeline scrubs correctly, i'm afraid you've stumbled upon the same bug i found a week ago...

Let us know.....
It's an easy fix.
I am interested in the 'fix'
Olakunle Olanrewaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Major Player

I have this problem intermittently running PPRo CS5 on an I7/12gbRAM/GTX260 under Win 7.

However, I wonder if I read your post correctly: are you running PPro under Win 7 under a Mac OS with only 4 or 6 gb of RAM? I would seriously consider adding more RAM.

Apart from that, I've found three things help avoid this on my Win 7 system.

1. Use the AVCHD sequence presets within PPro CS5 rather than HDV or the like. I run with two computer monitors plus an external HDTV fed via a Matrox MXO2 mini which requires using a Matrox preset for the external feed, and the Matrox presets seem intermittently vulnerable to AVCHD overload. When things bog down -- say, when I've got four multi-cam tracks plus titles and etc. --- I switch over to an AVCHD preset and the problem often (but not always) goes away. Sometimes, the problem just goes away if I reboot.

2. Turn off automatic updating, turn off background anti-virus/security scans (schedule them for when you are not working), and be sure that Windows has not secretly restarted Windows Defender. Windows update seems to randomly turn all these things back on whenever I allow an update. On my system, Defender seems particularly insidious, getting turned back on and getting double anti-virus scans going and what seem to be conflicts with Internet Security. When there is a big Internet Security download, it can also slow the system to an absolute crawl.

3. Divide your project into shorter sequences and nest the sequences for a final timeline. This became a habit for me under CS4. The thing I've noticed under CS5 is that most of the slowdowns happen when I've got a longer timeline (say 30 minutes) with many edits. The more edits I make, the more things seem to slow down when they are slowing down.

What is most annoying about this for me is that the bogging down is intermittent and almost random. I'll do two projects and not have any problems. The, on a third project, it starts almost immediately. Start over with a new project, and no problem.

Also, there may be memory leaks that cause these kinds of problems so, sometimes, shutting down and rebooting seems to fix things. I think Steve Kalle also recently posted something about memory leaks in CS5 so you might try searching for his post..
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Major Player

I don't know if this is the same issue as the original poster, but there's many of us users, who have found out that Multicam simply bogged the system. It's not an AVCHD thing.
Ironically, once you mute the audio track, the video runs fine...
The culprit seems to be those of us who use the option "Audio follows video" in the flyout on the Multicam screen...
For some reason, this just bogs down the system..Uncheck this option.

The fix would be to save out the audio as a separate .WAV file, and reimport it into the main sequence..

I don't know if this was addressed in CS5...
Only certain individuals seem to be having this problem..I am one of them..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Trustee

Hey Jay,

My thread title was incorrect as Pete pointed out. I have 24GB of ram and Premiere is programmed to use up to 75% of available ram, which is why I was seeing 18GB being used during multi-cam edits and lots of scrubbing, which, I think, Premiere is caching the frames that were scrubbed.

With an 8 core computer, 4GB is wayyyyyy too little. For optimum performance, you need 2GB of ram per 'physical' core, and for the best performance, 4GB per core under CS5 really gets things moving. Adobe really kicks some a$$ with MPEG2 encoding speed - going from 2GB per core to 4GB cuts MPEG2 encoding time in half or more, which why I am adding at least 24GB more ram to have 48GB total for my 12 cores. An important caveat to this MPEG2 speedup is that MRQ is not enabled; so, I am waiting to see how much of a speedup occurs when having 4GB per core AND MRQ checked. For everything BUT web video, MRQ needs to be checked as it seriously increases scaling quality when decreasing pixel resolution.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Trustee

Steve,

One very important correction or addition:

ALL encodes, rendering and scaling, with hardware MPE enabled are done with maximum quality and using linear color, so in essence the same as MRQ without MPE. One caveat: AME follows the PR settings, so if you have MPE enabled when closing PR, the maximum quality applies, if you closed PR with MPE off, you have to set MRQ manually.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
Steve,

One very important correction or addition:

ALL encodes, rendering and scaling, with hardware MPE enabled are done with maximum quality and using linear color, so in essence the same as MRQ without MPE. One caveat: AME follows the PR settings, so if you have MPE enabled when closing PR, the maximum quality applies, if you closed PR with MPE off, you have to set MRQ manually.
This is not entirely correct as there is a major difference when MRQ is checked and not checked and hardware acceleration enabled on both.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:32 PM   #10
Trustee

Steve,

I forgot one important aspect. You are still on 5.01.
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Steve,

I forgot one important aspect. You are still on 5.01.
That is correct. 5.02 has not been officially released in North America yet.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
I don't know if this is the same issue as the original poster, but there's many of us users, who have found out that Multicam simply bogged the system. It's not an AVCHD thing.
Ironically, once you mute the audio track, the video runs fine...
The culprit seems to be those of us who use the option "Audio follows video" in the flyout on the Multicam screen...
Only certain individuals seem to be having this problem..I am one of them..
Hmmmm. I've never used "audio follows video." And, with CS5, I'm only seeing the bogging-down when I've got AVCHD tracks in my multi-cam projects (which is most of them since I got an NX5). I went back to a multi-cam project that had bogged down with 2 AVCHD and 2 HDV tracks and tried muting the audio tracks. Still had the same problem. Tried enabling "audio follow video." Still had the same problem. Tried removing the audio tracks. Same problem. Went back to a current project --- where I've actually got six video tracks (3 AVCHD and 3 HDV, put together in my multi-cam tracks plus two additional cut-away cams for different parts of the wedding venue) plus multiple audio tracks. Tried enabling audio follows video. No bogging down. Go figure.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:29 AM   #13
Trustee

Well, 5.02 has been released and MRQ is the same; so, what are you talking about Harm?
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:56 AM   #14
Trustee

From the horses mouth:

Maximum render quality specifies that software should scale using a bicubic filter and blend in linear colour. For exports scaling and blending on the GPU will always process similar to software’s max quality, even without the flag set. Even with CUDA enabled there are cases where setting max quality can make a difference, namely any scaling or blending done not on the GPU but in software as part of an accelerated export. Setting maximum render quality will have no penalty and end up doing nothing if you do not fall into such a case. If you are seeing an increase of render time then you are falling into one such case and there will be a quality difference.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:00 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
From the horses mouth:

If you are seeing an increase of render time then you are falling into one such case and there will be a quality difference.
I think that answers my question. Thanks
Olakunle Olanrewaju is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite