Effects used in Desperate Housewives Season 7 Promo - topics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 30th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Effects used in Desperate Housewives Season 7 Promo - topics

I am still a novice with After Effecs and I am spending long and wonderful hours behind my PC discovering and trying out this wonderful world of Adobe Production Premium CS5 (mainly AE en Premiere Pro). I was wondering what was used to create the effects in Desperate Housewives Season 7 Promo (see here YouTube - Desperate Housewives - Season 7 - HD Promo )?

* Skyline colors (orange)
* Very bright/vibrant colors (saturated?)
* Clothes 'falling' of the actress while walking changin to other clothes, etc.

I know to go in detail will be a very long tuturial but I would like to have a few pointers/topic headers for me to investigate in detail if anybody knows! Students want to use the same concept in a promo on campus - some of it looks quite difficult and will require some long hours I assume!

Thanks for a great forum!!

Danie
Old October 31st, 2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Danie. If you don't know Videocopilot you should find it interesting (including its free basics tutorials)
After Effects Basic Training
For the sky replacement:
VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals
VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals
The look is very heavily processed and saturated (and very skillfully done), but as a quick and simple starting point have two layers of your footage and use the Overlay blending mode on the top layer and play with its opacity - that will crush the blacks and punch up the look. Then play with Effects:Hue/Saturation on your lower layer.
The clothing replacement is quite a complex effect and I suspect it may have been created in a 3D program by cloning the bodies and the ripping off happening as an overlay.
I don't know if this would work and depending on the level of skills available, you just might be able to get away with videoing a person walking in two different outfits but in EXACTLY the same way, then, as the second version is cut to underneath, rotoscope the first versions clothes and use the Shatter effect to destroy them. If you try it I would highly recommend that you use a locked off shot, there's no way that you could match a moving camera shot, and even in its simplest form it isn't going to be easy.
Trust that helps and good luck with it.
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Gregory!

Thanks a lot for your advice and pointers! Much appreciated! Apologies for only thanking you now! I was away for quite a while!

Thanks again! Will try!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite