CS5 on Mac? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 5th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Major Player

CS5 on Mac?

I'm just curious, how many here use CS5 on a Mac? I know Windows based PC's can be built for a lot less then buying a Mac, but I'm interested in getting a setup with FCP. Looking at prices of the individual Adobe products, it doesn't seem to make much sense for me to buy only Photoshop, and After Effect, individually. For less then the price of both of them, I can get the Production suite. I like the idea of learning both FCP, and Premier. So back to my original question...How many use CS5 on a Mac computer?

Thanks for any advice or replies.
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Trustee

Make your own deductions, based on overall penetration, not specifically CS5:

91% PC/Windows
5% Apple/MAC
4% PC/Linux.

Given that current MAC's intentionally do not support hardware MPE, that number will drop further.

Given that MAC's are more expensive than PC's, offer far less expansion capabilities, perform around 40% less and lack the support for MPE, there are few arguments to continue using a MAC, let alone invest in one.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Wrangler

"How many" users doesn't matter and you'll never get a statistically valid sample this way, anyway. What matters is if a system (hardware/software) works for you. If you prefer to work on an Apple machine with FCP, then you should. You can still get one of the Adobe suites and use PPro as you see fit, but I do have to agree with Harm that for ANY system lacking GPU acceleration, it would be a bit like ordering an ice cream cone without the ice cream. GPU acceleration does make a huge difference in the editing experience. I only use a PC, so have no personal experience to compare PPro on Mac and PC; perhaps there are a few folks out there who use both PC and Mac that can give us a balanced opinion on their user experience?

Mod Note: We must tread carefully here because we simply don't do platform wars on DVinfo. Everyone has his or her preferred computer hardware and software tools. It is fair game to objectively discuss the capabilities or limitations of a tool but as so often happens, people jump into these threads with emotions and flaming. Then we mods have to waste our time cleaning up after you. So please, any posts to this thread, keep it objective and pertinent.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
Mod Note: We must tread carefully here because we simply don't do platform wars on DVinfo. Everyone has his or her preferred computer hardware and software tools. It is fair game to objectively discuss the capabilities or limitations of a tool but as so often happens, people jump into these threads with emotions and flaming. Then we mods have to waste our time cleaning up after you. So please, any posts to this thread, keep it objective and pertinent.
I totally understand, and my intentions was not to start a "plateform war", but to get an understanding of what will be best for me. I'm a "PC" guy, always have been. Have built a handful of systems for myself (although none for editing, mostly music "DJ" systems). I've always had an interest in the "Indie Film" area. With what limited experiences I've had, I've really enjoyed the "editing" aspect of it. I've decided to get a little more involved (which pretty much means jumping in the deep end, blindfolded). It seems, when I chat with people about the subject (people who aren't in the industry), someone always seems to interject, "you have to get a mac, that's what all the pros use". So I started looking into doing just that, but looking into getting Photoshop, and After Effects, it was clear buying each program separate didn't make a whole lot of sense, when I could get the whole "Production Suite" for less then the 2 individually. So I started reading about Premiere, and liked what I was reading. But somewhere back in my mind, I keep hearing mac, mac, mac. Having as big an interest in this as I do, It definitely is a thought, that if I was to get skilled enough at editing, I would love to get more involved in the industry. So I wanted to flexibility, and knowledge to integrate into someone else FCP workflow.

I may be 200% wrong about that, since I know absolutely nothing the editing industry. So I came into the Adobe section, hoping to find out a little more. Reading a little more about CS5, I think I've read that taking projects that have been started in FCP is now easier to carry over and bring into Premiere (please correct me if I am wrong). So maybe that separation between editing programs (that seems to exist in my mind), isn't really all that separate.

I'm really not trying to start a debate on which is better Mac, or PC, just trying to find out the best for me. Having written 2 pages worth of info, above, I will say, my original intentions was to get comments on functionality, and performance, of CS5 with regards to how it is on a PC system and a Mac system, and integrating with other "main stream" editing software. I guess I was looking for the "all in one" solution (being CS5 and FCP on same box).

Thank you again for all the support and info.
Jeff
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Trustee

Jeff,

Some people love it and others hate it (this applies to both the PC and the MAC platform). That is why platform wars often erupt, but in the end it all boils down to what you feel comfortable with and what your needs are. One thing is clear, if you want to use FCP, there is no choice.

Opening a poll to see how many use MAC or PC is still a no go, because you can't influence response rates, so I agree with Pete here, no valid responses will come your way and it is pretty irrelevant for your dilemma.

Both platforms have their pro's and con's. You have to decide what is the best in YOUR situation with YOUR workflow and nobody but yourself can answer that for you. Do not be fooled by people stating: "you need to get platform X". That is utter BS. What can influence your decision is that there are nearly 20 times as many users on PC than MAC, so support from forums like this can be a lot better in terms of responses if you were to go PC, but then FCP is out.

So, you decide, there is nothing we can add to what has already been said.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks again, this is information I was looking for.
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano View Post
I like the idea of learning both FCP, and Premiere.
In my opinion, it's always a very good idea to be cross-platform capable -- both Mac and PC -- because you never know when you might be working with someone else who may have only FCP (or only CS5). If you can manage the financial outlay for both Final Cut Studio in addition to CS5, the more well-rounded you'll be as an editor, and consequently, the more in-demand you'll become. In short: get both... PC and Mac, CS5 and FCS... if you can.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #8
Major Player

I really am interested in both. I guess I didn't phrase my original question properly. My intention was to find out how CS5 was, performance wise, on a Mac computer as opposed to PC. I believe that answer was addressed. I would very much like to learn both. Was hoping from a performance aspect, that an all in one solution would be exceptable. I'm taking from this, that it isn't. Not because one platform is better then the other, but because of the technology involved in CS5's functionality is designed to work better one way. So I'll spend the money to have both.
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Major Player

With out adding a new thread, can someone answer this? Again please don't take this as a Mac vs PC question.

My original intention was getting CS5 for Photoshop, and After Effects. As I said before, for the money it makes sense to buy the Production Suite. So that led me to interest in Premere. Since you have to buy for one platform or another, and for performance reasons, choice "A" is the best option. If I'm using FPC, for a project, and want to do something in After Effects, can I save a file on a thumb drive, and pop into the other machine, and be able to use AE, on their, then transfer back?

Thank you for the information.
Jeff
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:05 AM   #10
Trustee

The major obstacle in this approach is the fact that FCP often uses an intermediate format, while CS5 uses native format. Add to that that if you export from FCP in QuiRcktime format, you are bound to a 32 bit import/export module that completely destroys the 64 bit nature of CS5.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite