Where Did My Waveforms Go? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 5th, 2005, 05:22 AM   #1
Trustee

Where Did My Waveforms Go?

Why did the waveforms on my timeline clips disappear? (I already have the "show all waveforms" icon checked on my track header so that isn't it). How can I get the waveforms back so I can edit the sound?
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro
How can I get the waveforms back so I can edit the sound?
Make sure that the track is collapsed: "To expand or collapse a track: Click the triangle to the left of the track's name."

/Roger
Roger Averdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 05:41 AM   #3
Trustee

The track is collapsed! All I get are two thin straight lines through the sound clip indicating there is no sound but when I play the clip the sound is fine.

What happened to the waveform squigglies?
Old August 6th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
All I get are two thin straight lines through the sound clip indicating there is no sound but when I play the clip the sound is fine.
Press Enter on your keyboard should do the trick.

/Roger
Old August 6th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Trustee

Won't pressing enter begin to render my video? Do I press enter by itself? Do I press enter with the track collapsed? Expanded?
Old August 6th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #6
Built the VanceCam

Hugh,
The waveforms only display if the Time Zoom Level is zoomed in to the chosen value, or less. The default is 4 seconds. I'm guessing you "zoomed out" of the timeline which caused the waveforms to disappear.
Right-click on the Timeline Zoom Level (very bottom left corner of the Timeline Window) and select Timeline Window Options. See what the setting is for "Draw Audio when view is ___ seconds or closer." Be aware that changing it to a longer time may really slow down scrolling on the timeline. If it's at 4 seconds, just go back to the Timeline Zoom Window and change that to 4 seconds or less. The waveforms should come back.
Dan Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #7
Trustee

Dan:

I'm not sure I know what you mean but I will just start punching buttons and adding values to see if I can get my waveforms back. Thank you for your help. I love this program and really want to master it.
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #8
Trustee

Dan:

I did as you said. However, when I right click where you told me to, nothing happened. I got no timeline window options. What am I missing?
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #9
Trustee

Dan,

What version of Premiere are you using? I just assembled an hour's worth of clips on a timeline in Premiere Pro 1.5, and I could see the audio waveform even when zoomed all the way out to show the entire hour. Also, I couldn't get anything by right clicking on the Timeline Zoom Level button, and there is nothing about Timeline Window Options in the Premiere Pro 1.5 help file that I could find.

Hugh,

When an audio track is expanded there is a button under it's speaker icon. This is the "Set Display Style" icon. Click it, and make sure "Show waveform" is checked.

Last edited by Christopher Lefchik; August 7th, 2005 at 09:13 AM.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
What am I missing?
Do I press enter by itself?
You did not press Enter, thats what you are missing.

You must under some circumstances press Enter to render Audio Previews, and if you dont press Enter, no Audio Previews will be rendered and the Audio Track will have no waveforms.

Just click on the eyeball/s on your video tracks so no video can be seen during playback if you dont want to render any video. (recommended)

It does not matter whether the audio tracks are collapsed or not uncollapsed when pressing Enter.

And yes, you must press Enter yourself unless somebody else want to do it for you. ;)

/Roger :)
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #11
Trustee

Well, my waveforms returned under mysterious circumstances. I don't know whether they just left to have a beer with their buddies or what. Things are back to normal. If I have any more issues I will sure to visit again, kind comrades.

Roger: Maybe I inadvertently pressed enter and got my waveforms back?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite