Best format for exporting animated title? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 17th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Best format for exporting animated title?

I've created a short animated title -- just a 5 second logo that types itself across the screen for use at the end of all our projects. There were probably easier and better ways to create it but I just used the Premiere titler to create a 1920 x 1080 series of text titles that, when run in sequence, appear like an animation.

What would be the best format to export it to so I can just drop it into all our future projects as an asset? The Premiere help files are silent on this and a search here didn't turn up anything that I could find.

I suppose I could just import and nest the sequence, but a rendered file just seems easier somehow.
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Maybe you have this covered:
If the logo is important, and is going to be used a lot in the future, why not uncompressed AVI? For just five seconds, it won't eat up a lot of space or take time to reconform every time you use it. You might want to blur it a bit so it won't jitter on NTSC or PAL viewing systems. If you want to have transparency you could try an uncompressed TIFF sequence. I wouldn't recommend JPEGs or MPEGs.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Sareesh Sudhakaran; January 17th, 2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Typo and change
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

That's the answer I was looking for.

Thanks. Uncompressed AVI it is.
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #4
Trustee

I keep my masters of that sort of item as 1920x1080 Cineform .avi.
It's worked well and looked good in both HD and SD projects.
Ooops.... I see from another post that you have dumped CF from your system.
Oh, well...
BTW- I am using the Neo4k v 5.22 b283 release and am having no problems with CS5.
With the subsequent versions, both beta and the v 5.26 release, I have had problems with lock-ups and crashes, so I have stayed rolled back to v 5.22
Don't know what's going on with that & haven't seen too many others complaining- maybe just my particular system.
Thought it worth mentioning.
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I was thinking about that. Might be worth re-installing for that alone.
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Trustee

For name keys, I have been using Quicktime with PNG so I can get a single file and alpha. However, for fullscreen animations, this QT+PNG bogs down during playback in PPro after 2 seconds for an unknown reason (the PC is a dual 6-core, 24GB ram and 600MB/s raid array).

So, as of today, I now use DPX which allows 10bit and Alpha.

However, I use AE for all of these animations.

On a side note, I usually use PSDs for 3D animations from Cinema 4D.

I never use uncompressed AVI because its format can vary and not work outside of Adobe programs. DPX, PSD, TIF, etc.... can work in most NLEs and motion graphics programs. Also, I find image sequences to be the most responsive of any format during editing & compositing because the computer can easily handle images whereas videos require decoding.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Quicktime Animation is another good option for this. Very ubiquitous, supports alpha channel, slightly smaller file size than AVI uncompressed and less processor intensive than PNG.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite