Still having trouble using CS5 to meet broadcast requirements at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 26th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Still having trouble using CS5 to meet broadcast requirements

I started an earlier thread asking for help meetings broadcaster specs for delivering the file of a commercial spot.

I am now dealing with my third broadcaster, and I can't seem to use CS5 AME to meet their specific specs either (though I think I'm close).

This company is DG. The company in charge of the ad buy uses DG to re-encode commercial spots for delivery to all the markets and outlets which will run the spot. Something about DG's specs makes me think it is written by and for Final Cut users. Can anyone confirm? Here is what they're asking for, including settings I can't seem to be able to change in CS5:

VIDEO:

-H.264 (.MOV) --I need to change the format to QuickTime and then select h.264 in the video codec settings

-50 Mbps -- How can I change this? If I select QuickTime and h.264, I can only set the quality slider up to 100. I can't set the bit-rate.

-4:2:2 --I don't see a way to set this. I can check "render at maximum depth." Is that it?

-GOP structure not defined --Can't find a setting for this. Guess I don't need to because it isn't mpeg2??

-29.97i frames/sec. --Ok, no problem

-Field dominance not applicable --How is this not applicable if they want an interlaced file? I set it to upper since this is HD. It shouldn't matter anyway as the whole thing was created in 30p, so interlacing shouldn't do any harm--the 2 fields will show the same image.

-1920 x 1080 (16:9 aspect ratio) --again, makes sense, and I'm assuming this must be square pixel.

Audio
-LPCM Integer (big endian) --Again, I can't set this in AME. I just used "uncompressed" which seems closest to LPCM

Any idea why they ask for settings I can't change? They also say they prefer ProRes, which really makes me think this is Final Cut language.
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Still having trouble using CS5 to meet broadcast requirements

As far as I know, there is no 4:2:2 implementation of H.264 in AME - it would have to be profile High422, and the only available is High. Normally H.264 means 4:2:0. You can encode 4:2:2 to uncompressed, Cineform, and DNxHD or XDCAM HD (available under MXF format) but not to H.264. On the other hand, ProRes is much more than 50 mbps, so I don't see how this specs even make sense unless you're using Canon's or Sony's acquisition. Unless they simply took the minimal acquisition standards from BBC, and gave it to you as delivery specs.

BTW, if you want to encode to h.264, select h.264 from the format menu, not QuickTime, it gives you much more control, even though the file will be wrapped in mp4 wrapper.

I'm sure they can handle uncompressed audio without any problem.
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Bart. I usually DO encode with h.264 instead of Quicktime, but they specified a .MOV wrapper. Although I must say, I do like the results I'm getting with Quicktime/h.264, and quality set to 100%. I haven't done an A/B comparison to the normal h.264 .MP4's I normally encode, but that would be interesting.

And here's an update: Once again, I stressed out over not being able to set the specs exactly as they asked for, and once again they said my spot looks fine.

Is it simply that a lot of professionals haven't been using Premiere Pro? Is that way I often run into specs that can't be perfectly replicated? I really seem to run into a lot of Final Cut jargon.
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Contributor

All you have to do is change the .mp4 to .mov and there it is. It's the same thing.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Drummond View Post
I set it to upper since this is HD. It shouldn't matter anyway as the whole thing was created in 30p, so interlacing shouldn't do any harm--the 2 fields will show the same image.
If there are effects, those effects will be rendered interlaced when you do that. For examples, fades will have those lines as slightly separate from each other, also motion effects.
Mikko Topponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Drummond View Post
I started an earlier thread asking for help meetings broadcaster specs for delivering the file of a commercial spot.

I am now dealing with my third broadcaster, and I can't seem to use CS5 AME to meet their specific specs either (though I think I'm close)..
Bob,

Pick up the phone and ask to speak to either (if it's the likes of ABC, CBS or NBC affiliates in your region) the Dir of Eng or their assist, or if of lesser beings, then the person responsible for third party technical acquisitions.

You have got to speak to these people.

I spent a significant part of my life visiting and speaking to these people on a technical level and they are approachable - especially if they are buying-in your content ( and yes, in your area too).

Your advice should not be coming from an Adobe Creative Suite Forum (although seemingly helpful), but as a production professional you should be talking to, and clarifying issues with, your contractor.

Cut out the "middle man" and go direct.

:)
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Or try QuickTime Pro to render the final output from an uncompressed file.
Although I'm not sure about the 4:2:2, the rest of these settings can be controlled in QuickTime Pro.

I know it's a detour. ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite