ppro cs5 crashing gtx 285m at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 6th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Major Player

ppro cs5 crashing gtx 285m

My two year old laptop has been amazingly stable. Until now. It's running an i7 930 @2.8GHz, 6 GB memory, win7 64 bit, an NVIDIA gtx 285m, and Production Premium CS5 (PPro is at 5.0.3). All the software is up to date.

I've been doing single camera edits for like 18 months. No problems other than the usual learning curves. Last Friday I started down the road of doing a mulit-cam edit (2 cameras). Imported files, got setup with both video streams on a "source" timeline, no problem. Got synced, no problem. Created a "multi-cam edit" timeline, got it set to multicam, no problem.

Went to play the source timeline just to verify sync and a few seconds into the video the Program Monitor got a "glitter bomb" (image came apart into random pixels) and the screen locked up. Could use other applications, but not PPro.

After 30-60 seconds or so, Win7 popped up a message that said that it had detected a display not responding error and apparently rebooted the display driver. Of course this didn't help PPro much as it didn't have any connection to this new instance of a display driver, so I had to kill it with the Task Manager. Sadly, this wasn't the end of the story as the entire display was now sprinkled with just enough non-responsive pixels to make it usable but annoying. So I did a cold boot. Everything came up fine.

Pulled up PPro all by itself and tried to run the source timeline again, same problem. Only this time I could hear audio -- continued to play the audio even though the display was gone. And again all I could do to stop it was kill it with the Task Manager.

The only thing I can find in the event logs is an entry for each event, a warning, from the display, event id 4101 with the text "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Followed the link to Microsoft's webpages and got essentially nothing for my trouble.

I've searched and searched and come up empty -- anyone have any idea what the deal is with multi-cam editing and the gtx 285m? If you do, any work arounds?
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: ppro cs5 crashing gtx 285m

OK, maybe my drivers aren't exactly up to date after all.

When I go through Win7 Device Manager, it says I'm running 8.17.11.9716, released on 3/16/2010. When I click on the "Update Driver..." button and make it search the 'net for the latest drivert, it comes back with "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date." Which is why I said that my drivers were up to date in my original post.

Yet, when I go to the NVIDIA website I learn that the current version is 295.73 - WHQL, and it was released just two weeks ago.

So I'm thinking that win7 is lying to me, but the nomenclature for the driver is so different from the two sources that it's difficult to say what's actually going on.

Anyone have any clues to offer?
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: ppro cs5 crashing gtx 285m

Bruce,

I much prefer your real name than the cfg acronym used elsewhere. Anyway I have answered your question on the other forum, but it boils down to using driver version 197.16 where you should be using 295.73

In Windows this will show up as 8.17.12.9573
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite