vegas to ppro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 28th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #1
Trustee

vegas to ppro?

can anyone point me to a good learning / technical resource for a competent editor moving from vegas to ppro?

most of the stuff i've read, watched is hopeless in as much as it's usually long, waffling and not aimed at pro editors making the switch....

tia
Old April 28th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: vegas to ppro?

Adobe Forums: FAQ: How do I learn Premiere Pro?
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Just dive in at the deep end. Set up a project, import some footage and it will all seem reasonably intuitive. I did this, having prior experience of Liquid and Avid and it was reasonably plain sailing. You are right to ignore the general tutorials. If you get stuck on a particular area, e.g. Ultra Key, there are great tutorials on Adobe TV: Adobe TV. Good luck
Guy Caplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Trustee

I must be incredibly dense, but I've been trying to move from Vegas to Premiere for at least five years! Eventually, I'll get frustrated and close to deadline, and just go back to Vegas.

What makes this even more pathetic is that I'm very proficient with After Effects! I just don't know why I can't get the hang of Premiere.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
I must be incredibly dense, but I've been trying to move from Vegas to Premiere for at least five years! Eventually, I'll get frustrated and close to deadline, and just go back to Vegas.

What makes this even more pathetic is that I'm very proficient with After Effects! I just don't know why I can't get the hang of Premiere.
just go on adobe tv, that's where I learn premier. And what's so hard about premier? it takes me a week to understand premier and it's been 2 years and I can't master after effect.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen View Post
just go on adobe tv, that's where I learn premier. And what's so hard about premier? it takes me a week to understand premier and it's been 2 years and I can't master after effect.
I guess it's not because Premiere is hard - it just drives me crazy to dig through documentation and online forums to figure out how to do something I *know* how do in 10 seconds with Vegas.

If somehow my install of Vegas was deleted and I had no choice but to do it in Premiere, I guess I'd just knuckle down and do it.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Chris,
I had to go through that my self.
Adobe TV has great tutorials and also Lynda.com.
If you have any question you can post it here and we will try to help you.
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Trustee

A really great place to start is by learning the keyboard shortcuts. Do whatever you ave to do to get used to them - read them before bed, print them and stick it to the back of the bathroom wall, mark your keyboard with permanant makers, etc.

If you really dig into the shortcuts you'll find yourself breaking/relearning habits you might've developed in Vegas. I found these habits to be what was slowing me down when I made the switch from Vegas to Premiere about three years ago. Once I got the hang of the shortcuts, I spent less time struggling with the different interface and button layout, because I did more things using just the keyboard. Over time, the interface and menu layout became equally as natural as Vegas had been previously.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:16 AM   #9
Trustee

Easier still, just re-define the shortcut keys so they are the same as Final Cut, Vegas or other NLE
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:32 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I use Shuttle ProV2 and have Edius, Vegas and CS5.5 set so they all work the same with the controller.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Easier still, just re-define the shortcut keys so they are the same as Final Cut, Vegas or other NLE
I tried that at first, but the problem I ran into was that the same features from Vegas are not necessarily assignable to shortcuts in Premiere. So, I ended up with a half-cooked shortcut set that was like the bastard child. This was one of my big obstacles at first, because it meant I got stuck in between the Vegas and Premiere mind-sets. Once I committed to the Premiere shortcut set, and took the time to learn it, the learning process quickened for me. Then later on I switched to the FCP defaults in Premiere, as I started using FCP more and more for certain clients and it made it easier to transition between the two.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
exactly the same situation, I am regular AE user and pretty comfortable with it, but when it comes to PP I just can't stick to it, and Vegas interface wins every time, even when I get tired of it's frequent crashes and trying to switch back to Adobe, cuz Premiere Pro was my first choice NLE;
but with CS6, if PP will handle H264 and raw files as easy as Photoshop CS6 does , I will probably switch back to Adobe.
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #13
Trustee

I guess we all have our favourite applications, If Vegas works for you then why change. I have always used Premiere and can't see what the problem is. The only hiccups I have encountered is when I used the Matrox R100 and RTX2 cards, but since using the nVidia cards with Cuda and Mercury Playback Engine, I have taken the Matrox cards out altogether.

I look forward to using CS6 and other applications in the Adobe Production suite, it sounds like Adobe is going to take the crown away from Final Cut, just as they did with InDesign against Quark.

Could be Interesting times ahead.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite